Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

MAC2400 or MAC5200?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC2400 or MAC5200?

I'm in need of a new compressor. One of the local supply houses is shutting down and has both of these compressors on sale. I have some credit on my account that I need to use and think I'll put it toward one of these two compressors.

I'll be using it for trim, some framing (add-ons, etc.) and deck building. I'll run two framing guns at times and two or more finish guns often.

I've searched on here for them, and everything I read seems to be pretty good. I've also read the specs online for both compressors, but want some first hand knowledge from people who have used them. Which do you prefer and what are the pros and cons of each?

Re: MAC2400 or MAC5200?

I have had the 2400 for almost 3 yrs and have never had a problem with it ever
    rough framing to trim carpentry roofing or lap siding installs
    never trips any breakers either it's just a little on the heavy side

Comment

Have the 5200, not familiar with the 2400. The 5200 is an excellent machine, it's on the loud side, it's almost too heavy for me to lift into the truck alone, it has a great little storage compartment for small parts on it... gotta love that... and the handle has space for storing a couple of hoses. Amazon is usually selling them for about $300.
      Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
      Website - Facebook

Comment

Makita is coming out with a new compressor. Its coming out in the spring, model no. AC310H
        Its supposed to be much lighter. I saw it earlier this week in their spring catalog which just came out. It appears to be replacing the Mac 2400

Comment

Originally posted by Stef B View Post
          Makita is coming out with a new compressor. Its coming out in the spring, model no. AC310H
          Its supposed to be much lighter. I saw it earlier this week in their spring catalog which just came out. It appears to be replacing the Mac 2400
          Is this it, Stef? http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-ac3...or-2.5hp-p9392 (The one linked is a 220V model for Europe, BTW).

That's a heckuva price tag! Looks like it's maybe meant to compete with the high pressure Max machine? http://www.ontimesupply.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1409
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by David Meiland View Post
            Have the 5200, not familiar with the 2400. The 5200 is an excellent machine, it's on the loud side, it's almost too heavy for me to lift into the truck alone, it has a great little storage compartment for small parts on it... gotta love that... and the handle has space for storing a couple of hoses. Amazon is usually selling them for about $300.
            I'll echo Dave's sentiments. The 5200 has been a good machine for us. We've had it about 5 years & used it without issue. If you buy one, you might consider changing out the wheels, as they're junk plastic.
            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gburnet View Post
              consider changing out the wheels, as they're junk plastic.
              I've always heard that, but mine haven't broken.
              Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
              Website - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by David Meiland View Post
                I've always heard that, but mine haven't broken.
                Neither have mine, but they're still junk. ;o)
                Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gburnet View Post
                  Is this it, Stef? http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-ac3...or-2.5hp-p9392 (The one linked is a 220V model for Europe, BTW).

That's a heckuva price tag! Looks like it's maybe meant to compete with the high pressure Max machine? http://www.ontimesupply.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1409
                  I am under the same understanding. The funny thing is, the Max compressor is relatively light at around 50lbs, but from what I've read the Makita high pressure compressor weighs in at around 80lbs. I've been told the Makita compressor will likely cost in the $1000-$1500 range. Apparently the release date is pushed back just a little because they're trying to get the price down on the compressor and guns.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Everything I read says they are both great compressors. Has anyone owned or used both? I'm looking for a side by side comparison if anyone has one.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Carapace79 View Post
                      I am under the same understanding. The funny thing is, the Max compressor is relatively light at around 50lbs, but from what I've read the Makita high pressure compressor weighs in at around 80lbs. I've been told the Makita compressor will likely cost in the $1000-$1500 range. Apparently the release date is pushed back just a little because they're trying to get the price down on the compressor and guns.
                      Interesting. I didn't know Makita was jumping into the U.S. market for high pressure equipment. You'd think competition would start driving the prices down on the technology. I guess time will tell...
                      Greg

Comment

I've had the mac 2400 for several years and so far no problems. One of its high points is its relative quiteness. At the time it was purchased it was rated as having the lowest decibel count.
                        Others compressors may have caught up. I do know that there are some that make so much noise it is down right annoying. Its weight is similar to equal sized compressors.

Larry
                        hfh hammer

Comment

Hi Greg,

Thats the one. i didnt realize its so expensive and available in the UK. Hopefully the price will come down. I guess it should be compared to the Max Compressor.

Comment

I guess I have to be the first to ask. What is the point of the high pressure tanks and guns? I only heard about them 6 months ago, but I can't understand as to why they are being built.

Comment

Originally posted by proclive View Post
                              I guess I have to be the first to ask. What is the point of the high pressure tanks and guns? I only heard about them 6 months ago, but I can't understand as to why they are being built.
                              In a nutshell, you get a lot of power in a pretty compact package. I think Tim Uhler has been using the Max tools for awhile. Maybe he'll be by to offer up his take. In the meantime, here's a link to his review that goes into some of the benefits of the system...http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlc...b6a78885a0&p=1

And another review I found online...http://www.homeconstructionimproveme...ressor-review/
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X