Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

21 gauge nailer/pinner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 gauge nailer/pinner

Wondering if anyone has one of these. Installing pre-painted trim need more than a 23 but my 18 is a little much. Didn't know whether the 21 was worth the extra expense.

Also, is there anyone that sells the old 18 gauge headless pins? I can't find much results.
    Strong Tower Construction
    Service Exceeding Expectation

Re: 21 gauge nailer/pinner

I have 2 Grex 23g pinners, one shoots up to 1 3/8" the other up to 1 3/4". I believe they are models P645 and 635?? they are not with me at the moment. Awesome tools for fine work, especially stain grade.

Comment

Spike, I have the Grex 1 3/8 and the Cadex 1 3/8, both work well. I was just wondering on the 21 gauge that Cadex & Omer make.

Comment

cdatrim,

i have the Omer 21g.- it's the best made nail gun i have or ever have had.

It is perfect for installing prefinished trim- i bought mine specifically for installing prefinished cove molding at the tread / riser overhang on my stair jobs. Nice compact body so you can get a good angle and keep the nailhole high. The model i have shoots up to 1 3/16"

It shoots through anything without any trouble. It's my "go to" gun for the leading edge of all my casing work and won't split the outside miters on mdf. Great for temp jigs/hold downs as it's enough holding power but it doesn't fight you when you go to disassemble.

Uncommon nail size so keep that in mind when you buy nails - i get mine from Woodcraft- they have both the slight headed and headless in the 21 g. as they sell a 21 g. nail gun (import) for about 100 bucks. It looks and feels very nice actually, but i can't vouch for it's performance as i have never used one on a job.

I bought mine from www.nailzone.com several years ago and it's been well worth the investment.

M Smith

Comment

Originally posted by M Smith View Post
          cdatrim,

i have the Omer 21g.- it's the best made nail gun i have or ever have had.

It is perfect for installing prefinished trim- i bought mine specifically for installing prefinished cove molding at the tread / riser overhang on my stair jobs. Nice compact body so you can get a good angle and keep the nailhole high. The model i have shoots up to 1 3/16"

It shoots through anything without any trouble. It's my "go to" gun for the leading edge of all my casing work and won't split the outside miters on mdf. Great for temp jigs/hold downs as it's enough holding power but it doesn't fight you when you go to disassemble.

Uncommon nail size so keep that in mind when you buy nails - i get mine from Woodcraft- they have both the slight headed and headless in the 21 g. as they sell a 21 g. nail gun (import) for about 100 bucks. It looks and feels very nice actually, but i can't vouch for it's performance as i have never used one on a job.

I bought mine from www.nailzone.com several years ago and it's been well worth the investment.

M Smith
          Thanks! Great info.

Comment

I've used one of these, and for the $ they can't be beat in 21g:

http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Fasten-Gaug.../dp/B0035Y4B9E

Ez-fasten is extremely underrated as far as nailer/pinners go in the industry

they are made "offshore", but who isn't?

If you're using one everyday, all day, buy the Omer. If you're just using it occasionally, check out the Ez-fasten (as much as it PAINS me to pimp Ez- ANYTHING)
            Last edited by whiskytangofoxtrot; 05-29-2010, 08:39 PM.
            "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

I shouldn't have clicked on this thread, now I suddenly need another gun.

http://www.nailgundepot.com/shop/cat...6-p-26277.html
              Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
              Website - Facebook

Comment

I have that omer mg40 21ga. It is a great gun I bought it for doing a prefinished stain grade base job that had round corners. It holds much better then the 23ga guns and works great on mdf outside corners. The nails are expensive but the packs I bought have lasted over 2years. It shoots both headed and headless but the driver makes the same hole for either type of fastner so I use the headed nails.

Comment

You just saved me from buying both types of nails.
                  Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                  Website - Facebook

Comment

I wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone has more info on using 21 gauge versus 21 gauge pin nailers.

I've got some stain grade White Oak tapered columns to build and am trying to decide if I should invest in a bigger pinner or just use my brad nailer.
                    Joe Adams
                    Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
                    Houston, Texas

Comment

Joe, I ended up buying the Cadex 21 ga, mainly for the extra nail length capacity. Shoots up to 2", but usually only run 1 3/4" max. Awesome nailers, have since sold my 23 gauge nailers since I never used them anymore.

Comment

It seems like Cadex is the only game in town for a 21 gauge pinner. The only problem is...they are not available anywhere in town!
                        Joe Adams
                        Houston, Texas

Comment

I have a little bit of info that might help.

I borrowed a friends Omer 21ga a couple years ago and was very impressed. The big limitation seemed to be that it only shot 1.5" pins or brads. The head on the 21ga brads, called "slight headed pins" was much smaller than an 18ga brad. I did some research at the time and found a Cadex that also shoots pins or brads but up to 2". That combined with my Grex P635 1 3/8" 23ga seemed like a good combo. Once I saw the price on the Cadex, it was put on hold and there it sits as a "someday maybe" deal. The Cadex still sits on my wish list on Amazon.com but they do show in stock.
                          You can count on it being like my M size stapler in that you will need to plan ahead on supplies because you won't find any locally.

Comment

Greg, this thread was started nearly 3 years ago !!! thought it was dead and buried along time age ???

Omer no longer makes the model i have but have replaced it with a model that shoots a longer (1 9/16") nail - the body is much bigger and taller so i don't like it for that reason.

So Cal ???- u a regular at Austin ???

M Smith

Comment

I revived this thread rather than start a new one. I've got the Cadex in my wish list at Amazon but at $340 I'm reluctant to pull the trigger without some positive feedback.
                              Joe Adams
                              Houston, Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X