Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

peel and stick membranes for decks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peel and stick membranes for decks

wondering how many of you guys are using these types of products on decks/porches you build?

Seems like I used to be able to buy the stuff just about anywhere, now no one seems to be aware of it. Had used some on some joist hangers and PT connections and the inspector said he had no idea what it was and why I would do that. Evidentily not a code issue here or at least in that city. Is it code some places?

And while I have not gone back and routinely checked on my past decks and porches that I have build over the years I am not hearing of problems with them. Wondering is the product is as useful as it is sold as.

I do want to build a good deck but wondering if this really makes a good deck better or not.

Re: peel and stick membranes for decks

I use it on sandwiched beams across the top to prevent water infiltration.

I also use it between the building and the ledger.

Use it as the first flashing over the top of the ledger.

Use it as a barrier between treated and aluminum.

I don't wrap the hangers or ends of the joists.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Everything Tom does I do, but I also top my stringer cuts.

When ACQ was mostly used seperating the joist hangers were important unless you used ZMAX hangers but I still didnt trust it.
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Top Notch View Post
        Everything Tom does I do, but I also top my stringer cuts.

I was just starring at my front steps yesterday wondering about the stringer cuts and thought about doing that when I replace my temporary treads...I'm definitely doing it.
        Portland Renovations, Inc.
        www.portlandrenovations.com

Comment

Never though about the stringers. I'll have to add that. Thanks

Tom
          http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

I'll use it to separate hangers and joist when working with ACQ. Of course, I don't know what is happening to the nails in the ACQ.

The lumber yard I use most has switched from ACQ, so when using their lumber I don't wrap.

I've taped the tops of stringers, but it is a pain. The membrane wants to stick to my fingers instead of the wood.

When I do historical work, I use wood fascia around decks and porches. I'll leave a 1/4" gap between the joist and the fascia, and tape the top of it to keep out water.
            Last edited by S.Joisey; 04-27-2012, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X