Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Tapco Pro 19 10'6 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapco Pro 19 10'6 ?

Someone stole my brake last summer and I am just now getting around to replacing it. I occassionally would need to push this brake up on my system one racks but cant find a weight on any of the websites for their brakes. I am also considering getting the snap stand, pro cutoff and sidewinder. All of this runs around 2200.00 new. I do a minor amount of trim jobs but need it more for flashing and pans. I know I'm buying more than I need but thats typical with tools for me. The accessories, pro cutoof and sidewinder, are they big time savers? I did not have these on the last brake. Also does anyone use the wheel kit for the snap stand...thanks for any replies!
    Last edited by Andrew R.; 03-10-2007, 09:38 AM.

Re: Tapco Pro 19 10'6 ?

I wouldn't get any of the accesories at all. There useless. If you're only using it once in a while you'll lose them before you get any use out of them. It's just 1 more thing to carry around. The stand is junk also. Just get some nice folding sawhorses and it's way more portable. I carry 2 horses and a table with mine. All i use is a utilty knife and I've yet to see someone faster than me on a brake.

I might get the the 19 next but I doubt it. I've had the 14 for a long time and rarely need the extra few inches of depth. I can actually get about 15 1/2 out anyway.

I know you want the tapco brake and make sure you get it. Don't let anyone try selling you a different brand. Everytime a new design comes out my distributer try's getting me to buy because he know's im in the market. I've had the jaydon and few other styles and there all horrible. He lets me try it on a job for a few day's and I send them back the next day saying no thanks.

My current tapco has been a great unit. It get's alot of trim bent on it each day and still is holding strong for 5+ years. I rebuilt it over the winter and it's as good as the day I bought it. Just looks abused.
    My forum signature

Comment

We have the Tapco Pro 19. I'm guessing that it's around 8-10 years old. We don't use it everyday, but it gets its fair share of work. We got most of the accessories when we got the brake, but we just replaced the stand with the redesigned one. The old one was awful, with pins and bolts to keep it on the stand, and the wheels were not very stable. The new one has clips that the brake slips into and the wheel kit is just a much better design.

The sidewinder is okay, but the coil stock needs to have the end of the roll bent in order for it to dispense correctly.

I can't say enough for the pro cutoff. My uncle hates it, but I think it is invaluable. It cuts cleanly, quickly, and safely. A utility knife works fine, but after using the pro cutoff, there really is no comparison, especially if you are working with copper.

Comment

I personally love my Pro 19. I am not a true siding guy in that I usually only side my own jobs. I also like the cut off and sidewinder, both seem to be useful.

Obviously, if you are really good with your utility knife the cut off may not be for you, but I am pretty sure it is alot safer to use the cut off tool.

Personally, I can't imagine not using the sidewinder, really seems to keep the coil out of harms way. Fox, I see what you are saying about bending the end of the roll, but I still like it, and not all coil I have used has the end bent up.

I know the snapstand adds to the cost, but I got my brake with sidewinder, cut off and basic legs for around $1,700 so you may want to shop around a little.
        TwoSons Construction

Comment

I have the pro 2000 which is the model before the pro 19. I love it. I had the pro cut off before it took off and it worked excellent.

2,200 sounds high. I've seen the setup for about 1,800.
          Jeremy

Comment

Save your money and buy a tapco 14 for $1100. Then get you two saw-horses that fold up and make a table out of a couple 2x10's. Most efficent way to bend metal I promise you. I've tried everyway and this is the easiest and most efficent. Not to mention it gives you a nice work-bench for other things.

Then when it get's stolen you not out 2 grand. Knock on wood mine has never been stolen. Im to the point know though where it wouldnt ruin my day if it turned up missing. Better not jinx myself.
            My forum signature

Comment

can't help you with the 19 , I also have the pro 2000 10'6" , it weighs between 110 and 120 lbs ..

I too have to lift it on and off solo , if I were to lean it from the ground it would sit on the roof of my E250 ........so I hold it up and lift instead of leaning , makes me think I should gotten
              A) AN 8'6" [ LIGHTER ]
              b) A 12' 6" would make it from the ground to my rack .

I don't siding every day , but I do it enough , also door pans [ trim] and flashings to justify owning a brake .........

my windy wasn't much lighter , but had more supports on the bottom , this made lifting and maneuvering much easier .............and believe me , I get help when ever it's available ...........I ever figure lifting it on and off into my prices .
              Joe

" When I nod my head , you hit it "

Comment

I gave one of those slapstick breaks to a roofer about 6 years ago and he's still using it everyday. I laugh but nice seeing old faithful still turning out metal.
                My forum signature

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-10558-10.../dp/B00002252C

139 LBS
                  Joe

Comment

Originally posted by J.Buesking View Post
                    I gave one of those slapstick breaks to a roofer about 6 years ago and he's still using it everyday. I laugh but nice seeing old faithful still turning out metal.

I gave mine to my nephew , also about 6 years ago , my Bro's a framing contractor they'd use it mostly for door pans [ cause setting ext doors in with his price ], I think he scrapped a couple of months ago .

I bought that one in 1990 for $400 slightly used [ one house ] , the pizza delivery guy saw the one I was using on one job [ piece of crap I borrowed] , and offered to sell the one he bought for $800 or so to do his house .............so $400 was a steal .
                    Joe

Comment

I just got the Pro 19 10-6 " this week I have used alot of brakes the weight is light compared to the old ones. Also the hems are beautiful with this break. I make all my own j-channel, starter strip, z trim , misc flashing, sometimes corners, fascia, drip edge I got about 2,000 in my all together with stand - by the way the wheels are extra.

Comment

Originally posted by gillisonconstruction View Post
                        I just got the Pro 19 10-6 " this week I have used alot of brakes the weight is light compared to the old ones. Also the hems are beautiful with this break. I make all my own j-channel, starter strip, z trim , misc flashing, sometimes corners, fascia, drip edge I got about 2,000 in my all together with stand - by the way the wheels are extra.
                        After checking the numbers again, 2000.00 is the price. The brake that was stolen was Tapco 14". It was difficult to get on the rack and I was concerned about the 19 weighing more. Also regarding the sidewinder and cutoff ( neither which I have used before) would likely need to be removed before heaving the brake on the racks, is that much of a problem? I assume the coil needing bent for the sidewinder?? is the way the coil usually ships ...with a bend at the end?
                        Gillis, whats the advantage with the 19 over your last brake?

Edit, I woud have thought the pro cut off would have been more popular.
                        Last edited by Andrew R.; 03-10-2007, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Well here is the deal buddy I make all my own fittings as I mentioned before. My old brake was a 14" and in order to get going good you needed to cutoff the coil mark it then load it, rip it and then lay the rest out of the way till you could get it all bent. That brake will hold 19" worth of coil inside of it. So you basically a 24" coil inserted only leaves 5" hanging out. So if you were making fascia you never have to rip the piece down to start working. Just start bending then cut. I hope you understand my explanation basically it is more effecient, the uni lock system that actually locks the brake is really smooth and appears undestructible, plus easy to adjust and even though it is wider at 148 pds it is lighter than our old 14" brake. My oppionin is it is the best brake on the market. That is why I bought it. Quality counts here and this brake unless it is stolen or involved in an act of god wshould be fine for 30+ years.

Comment

gillison-

I promise you will get better quality work and faster without the side-winder. Only the jack-legs have one around here because they just flat-cap everything and are lazy. They also sit there and measure every bend. Sure your suggestion works great for flashing, drip-edge, starte strip, and gutter boards but there's no way you can sit there and make a triple freaze using the setup you suggested.

I worked for a company that had 7 crews going and no one used any accessories. The one's we had like the side-winder and cut-off just sat in the shop un-used because everyone was faster and better without them.

The pro-cut off maybe but like I said it's just one more thing to carry. I've got a knife with me all the time and don't have a problem breaking my trim stock with it.

Unless you use you're brake once a year I really doubt it will last 30 years. That's a pretty long time.
                            My forum signature

Comment

Hey man I never supported the accesories just the brake I don't have any of them my old man was always to tight I learned the same ways as you did utility knife. I am unsure how I got draged into this or whatever I didn't think I caused contreversy I got the stand and wheels and like it I did not get any of the other access. But that brake is the best one on the market in my oppionon ( spelling) and I am sticking to that. The only thing I stated you may have took wrong is having to load lock and rip pieces so you can get a more manageable piece to work with and this break does eliminate that except for making small things like j-channel. To each his own. And about lasting 30 years we have on close to that old and if you take care of your stuff they will last. See whats wrong with some or let me re- phrase alot of people today is the just don't care if you wanna spend $2,000 every ten years then so be it but if you take a lil care then you won't have too. We clean our roofing guns in gas when we get done with them too everybody thinks thats crazy some of them are 15 years old it take s like 1o mins and it smells big deal the guns still look good and it is much easier to go to work with something or somewhere that is clean and organized and accomplish something then a rats nest with crap tools. Sorry I am just getting tired of this attitude but I guess thats all right we are booked well inot next year I guess people don't mind waiting for clean, organized and people that care about stuff.
                              Last edited by gillisonconstruction; 03-11-2007, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X