Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Noteworthy Movie Stairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noteworthy Movie Stairs

Am I the only one who pauses and playbacks scenes showing staircases or other wow-worthy clips? (Not counting the boobs of course) I'm talking about Scarlet O'Hara at Twelve Oaks etc. I don't care if the stairs are movie props or actual location scenes. I just want to take a closer look... (My wife says I'm sick and perverted)

Here's a recent netflicker: "The Wings Of The Dove" 37:36

Re: Noteworthy Movie Stairs

I too find myself checking out nice stairs and handrail during anything on TV or movies, it is a bit sad, but hey.

Comment

Harry Potter
      Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Comment

03e618bd3de57e7b29559095440513d6.jpgbw7.jpgOliver Bronson.jpgBilly pointed this one out to me in the latest Bourne movie.

Comment

AMAZING STAIR in the movie "Kate and Leopold" - one of my wife's (and mine) favorite movies - very witty dialoque and great performance by Hugh Jackman. I drool over that staircase wishing i coulda been part of building it !!!

M Smith

Comment

Is that the stair case that Bourne breaks the railing and rides the bad guy down to the 1st floor? I liked that stair case.

Not sure when it might show in your area but there was a great house on This Old House. House is in Portland Maine and is being restored. Stair case was fantastic as well as a lot of the rest of it. Not sure of the name of the episode but they are in Boston doing a house and went to Maine to look at this historic Italanate house.

Comment

How about this one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7eydcibl7a...%20YouTube.htm

Comment

I always liked the staircase in the Titanic movie. I would assume its a replica of the orginal.

http://hankeringforhistory.com/the-g...f-the-titanic/
                -Dan

Comment

One of the guys who founded tommy hilfiger had a replica of the Titanic stairs put in his house. The place was for sale for around $100 million not too long ago. It is so gaudy.
                  Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Comment

Oh yes. I check out the stairs and millwork all the time in movies. The old black and white movies always have the best.

Also, I sometimes wonder if a couple of brawling cowboys could smash through one of my handrails? :D

Comment

Hitchcock's "39 steps"
                      Josh O.

- Michelangelo-

Comment

The recent live broadcast of the Sound of Music featuring Carrie Underwood had a nice pair of stairs. I enjoyed the live theater action too.

Comment

IMG_0834.jpgI do the same thing. It's terrible but wonderful. I see mantelpieces slip past in a second or two and have to push pause and back up the movie. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone. And I get out a camera and take pictures of the television screen so I don't have to start sketching something. Like this book case in Field of Dreams--

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MkL5vq08os

Me and my guy built this balustrade for a TV commercial back in the 1980's. I remember it had to be completed in a single day and apparently I was the only one who had said "yes". We arrived at the studio next day with bundles of bender rail in hand and worked 24 hours straight. (I believe we split about $9,000 cash, less expenses...ooh-ya)

Of course it had to be all oak since the beret-headed-Director insisted on "the real thing". When it was done he took one look and declared it "to oakey" and ordered painters to faux-finish it walnut. They were slathering paint as we rolled up cords.

The whole set was pretty elaborate and set-up for a 360 shoot, including hallways extending from the entry. Rumor has it, the sound-set cost in excess of $200,00. That was chicken-feed though since they were planning on paying Paula Abdule 2 mill for a two-hour shoot. In the end they opted for comedian, Madeline Kuhn.

They shot the commercial next day, on schedule with paint still wet. Of course the entire haunted mansion was in the dumpsters within a few hours after Print Call and a new crew was busy building something new.

Welcome to Hollywood.

Comment

Gary, that is extreme-taking a picture of what is on television.

Comment

Working...
                              X