Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

JLC University - Customer Service +

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLC University - Customer Service +

I'm starting this thread with what looks like is going to be excellent reading. I'll order it tonight:

"Admit It!: 21 Things You Already Know But Apparently Have Forgotten Regarding Client Service"

It's from Mark Buckshon's blog, and where the 21 Things are listed, but expanded upon in the book:

http://constructionmarketingideas.blogspot.com/

Re: JLC University - Customer Service +

Thanks, Sonny

Craig S. Galati of Luccchesi Galati (consultants) in Las Vegas deserves the credit for these ideas.

The specific relevant blog entry is here: http://constructionmarketingideas.bl.../admit-it.html
    President, Construction News and Report Group of Companies
    1 Cleopatra Dr. Suite 202, Ottawa, ON Canada
    http://www.constructionmarketingideas.com
    Design and Construction Report http://www.dcnreport.com

Comment

And no truer 21 sentences were ever made that effect our businesses more.

Comment

I agree. Great list. Interesting how this theme is so strong with in our industry. This topic has found it’s way into almost all the other threads tied to the JLCU. Many of us have learned, or will learn how incredibly important this is. Those that did not learn it did not get to learn much else either, I suspect. And yet, as important as this is, is it not also interesting, just how much more there is to becoming successful in our industry.

I would be interested in knowing how many people think that Great Client Service is all that’s needed to be successful in our industry. Maybe another related question would be: Does anyone think you can be successful “with out” providing the highest client or customer service?
        Rick

"I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day." ~Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Rick, I don’t think Great Client Service is possible unless the company’s staff buys into that culture, and the company must also be well organized.

The only kind of companies that can make money without providing the highest client service are retailers whose game is based mainly upon price. Wal-Mart comes to mind. But selling a “good” is different from selling a “service.” And the #1 difference is that service is personal and at the forefront, while with selling of most retail products service comes after the sale has been made.

I’ve often espoused that we are advisors and service providers. What happened to me today is an example. Met with a customer who lives in a condo association for which I’ve been servicing for years as well as servicing many unit owners there for their own needs.

She asked me today if I wanted to do the job T&M or fixed price. I replied that I didn't like T&M because doing work that way eliminates the sense of urgency to get things done reasonably fast, yet correct. I expanded that I don’t like to price or start a job without knowing in advance the answers to potential problems or unanswered questions. I told her as an example was the amount of possible movement for the drain for her platform tub, since the new one will necessitate moving it’s location slightly. So I said I like what I call “invasive inspections”, like cutting out a section of the tiled skirt wall to visually see how close the concrete (1st floor slab) was poured around the drain line.

She replied that she had talked to several people in the complex about me and they all spoke very highly of me and ended it with "I trust you”.
          We will be doing most of the work while she’s up north getting minor surgery on a shoulder. She will give me a key next week while there doing some minor things to her kitchen in preparation for remodeling that too.

What’s odd is that she knows I no longer do decent sized remodeling jobs, preferring instead small ones since I’m semiretired. So when she originally called me she said something to the effect of: “I’ll like you to consider doing some work for me that I know you would prefer not to.” I told her over the phone I’d go there to see to what extent she wanted to redo the master bath, and we’d go from there.

Here is an example of “Great Client Service”, and it feels great giving it: I’ve repaired about 50 minor roof leaks on their 13 buildings - each with four condos per floor of the 2 stories, plus the clubhouse. On 3 or 4 I had to return because the leak persisted. However, I’d repaired the interior drywall for the owners and they paid for that. So on the 2nd trip to those 3-4 leaking roofs, I finally got them to stop, did not charge the condo association for the 2nd trip (marked No Charge on the invoice) nor did I charge the unit owners for the minor repairs again. I’d say the above example also comes under “character.” And in reality, isn’t that what we all seek when we are the consumer?

I think what I did is covered by “Admit it!” #1, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17. I simpy call it living per “The Golden Rule.”

Comment

Sonny,

It's clear why you will never be "fully retired." Your customers will never stop calling you!
            Rick

"I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day." ~Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Part of the selling process IS customer service as well, as interpreted by our potential customer. Who is important? They are - not us.

http://trustedadvisor.com/blog/138/T...roying-Selling

Comment

The customer service that you give during the selling process is probably the most crucial. It show the customer what they can expect from you farther down the road. I know for fact that I have won jobs, even though my estimate was higher than my competitor(s), sometimes substantially, because of the attention that I showed to a potential customer.

I'm working with a couple now on a new home. They have not picked out their prints yet, they are still looking for the "one". I feel fairly confident that I will be awarded the job because the couple has told me that they called 4 builders, the other 3 told them that when they pick their print they will gladly give them an estimate and thats the last they have heard from them.

I, on the other hand, have sat down with them and found out what they are looking for in a home. Using the info they gave me, I've sent them about 20 emails of prints online that match what they want. Yes, I'm spending some time that I wont get paid for, but I spend half my time online looking at prints anyhow, if taking a couple of minutes to copy and paste some links, lands me a contract, I feel it was worth it.

I have always liked to build strong relationships with my clients, I have one couple that I did some side work for when I was still an employee in the mid '90s that I still exchange christmas cards with. These relationships has landed me quite a few referrals.

Comment

Chad, your approach is absolutely, 100% spot on! As you know, I'm an advocate of systems, but during the sales process I've also advocated that our companies should literally wrap ourselves around our customer, concentrating on only serving "their" needs by using every resource available.

I'm going to do a copyright infringement and include two pages from the booklet (43 pages) "Admit it!" I received it from Mark Buckshon in today's mail. For $10 or less on Amazon, by Craig S. Galati, (also on Mark's blog), I strongly advise everyone to buy a copy. Again, it's tag line is: "Things you already know but apparently have forgotten regarding client service." Read all short (2 pages) chapters and make them all ingrained in your company's culture.

Incidentally, here's his blog:

http://blogs.inbusinesslasvegas.com/TheHeartOfBusiness/

OK, one more from his blog that's pertinent on this subject:

http://blogs.inbusinesslasvegas.com/...rience-matters
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Sonny Lykos; 02-09-2008, 10:40 PM.

Comment

FYI. From the author of "Admit It!" :

http://blogs.inbusinesslasvegas.com/...d-thing”

Comment

sonny,

thanks for posting that I truly beleive that to be true and it is very intresting how most do not follow that model, they consider those clients a pain in the rear... did not think that when they spent the check they gave them.

it is just like when you go out to dinner and the meal is not right, they make it right and you go back, or you quitely say nothing, but never go back again.

customer service is very key to becoming a professional.
                      Kreg
                      www.builtinking.com
                      youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
                      if you do not have fun every day... why?
                      get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
                      remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

Kreg, I may sound corny, but I'm proud to know someone like Mark Parlee who exemplifies what each of us should be.

His reports exposes the home's deficiencies, tells why, recommends the proper procedure, and what materials to be used - by name. In other words, he has no problem with giving out pertinent information because they might use that education to find someone cheaper. And I'm sure that occasionally someone has, but Mark has not let them bring him down to their level of deception - he still maintains his professional approach with the next potential customer, and the next, and the next.

And THAT'S one way to eliminate the jerks in our industry that we complain about. Or at least relegate them to strictly working for the bottom feeders - those who deserve them.

Comment

Just bumping the thread.
                          Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

With so many that may be slow or slowing up, or just trying to hang on, I thought that this would be an appropriate time to "BUMP" The passion that was Sonny.

As some of you may know this man was instrumental in turning my business around, as well as becoming a great friend that looked forward to the 2 a.m. phone calls just because he wanted to help. And boy did he ever.

I will be forever grateful to the Lykos family for sharing Sonny with me. I implore all of you that may need some insight that Sonny always seemed to offer with charisma and passion, to re-read some of these posts and topics.

If one person learns something that is all it takes to make a legacy.

Rest in Peace my friend, Sonny.
                            JASON

"The measure of success is how high you bounce after you hit bottom"

George S. Patton

www.jmsbuildersandremodelers.com
                            (shameless plug for the google bots)

Comment

Bump......
                              Jason E. Whipple
                              Historic House Restoration
                              Cincinnati, Ohio
                              http://www.facebook.com/RestoreOhio

Comment

Working...