Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Drywall hanging and finishing prices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drywall hanging and finishing prices

I am curious what others charge for drywall supplying, hanging and finishing prices. I am sure that this varies greatly depending on locale as well as the size of the job. I am a small-scale remodeler and drywall finisher. I recently lost bids to supply, hang, and finish drywall @ $1.50 per square foot. I thought that was too cheap! I have a bid to complete where the drywall is stocked in a large (2000sf) basement, and the homeowner just wants me to hang the walls and ceiling; no finishing. I know how long this should take, and what to bid to make a profit, but how much are others charging?

Re: Drywall hanging and finishing prices

As you said prices vary greatly. I have price ranges for every aspect of the job. If you don't get a job you thought you should just call the contractor and ask what the other bids were.

Comment

Ben:

My most recent bid from my sheetrock sub, for about 3000 square feet of floor space in the drywall areas (if that's what you mean by per-square-foot in your area)worked out to about $2 per foot, TT&L with 10 foot+ ceilings, square corners, all windows wrapped top and sides and an orange-peel finish. Will cost $400 more for knock-down finish. I think most sheetrock people in this area figure their pricing per-sheet, but I have no idea how many sheets he figures for any given job. I've paid the same guy as much as $25 per sheet (figured on 4x8 sheets which is usually not what he uses)on small jobs of, like, 30 sheets of ceiling only. I'm not his biggest customer, but I don't think I'm treated poorly in the pricing area and his work is consistantly good.

I'm in the San Antonio, Texas area.
      CX

Comment

Please check your local library for constrution estimating books. They list national averages for drywall installation. You must adjust for material pricing in you area. Most of all pay attention to the overhead sections that so many small contractors leave out of there pricing. It's a real cost and we all have it . If you do your materials orders, estimates and billing in your spare time or pay someone to do it for you, you should charge it to the job and be paid for it.

Comment

Ben H. first of all , where are you located. If you have the work, I have the man power.Maybe we can do some business. Prices where I am located vary.

Comment

Do you think $1.50 is to much for a job that consists of hanging and finishing drywall. the material is already on the job. but this is why i think it worth that much. it's a buch of shower stalls so it alot of cut and finish work what do you think?

Thank You

Comment

Harvey,
              God bless you if you can get 1.50
              a square to hang and tape not including materials.Where i come from in upstate New york we charge any where from .70 to 1.00 a square and that includes material.

Comment

Harvey,
                a square to hang and tape not including materials.Where I come from in upstate New york we charge any where from .70 to 1.00 a square and that includes material.

Comment

around here the pricing is per sheet thats in texas I get paid $5.50 a sheet with ups for higher ceilingsabove 10' so if you are getting 1.50 psf then you are raking it in unless your overhead is eating that up 5.50 is just to hang nothing elsecustomer supplies all materials

Comment

Originally posted by michael offenbacker View Post
                    Harvey,
                    a square to hang and tape not including materials.Where i come from in upstate New york we charge any where from .70 to 1.00 a square and that includes material.
                    I am a framing and drywall contractor in Nyc. I get a minimum of $12 per square ft to frame and rock only. I get an additional $1.25 per square foot for each level of tape. If your a legit contractor who pays all insurance costs and you are good at what you do , people are willing to pay for that. The reason why a lot of guys are cheaper than others is that #1.. they are not licenced #2 they are not insured #3 they don't pay any taxes. I would not let anyone without proper insurance work in my home..

Comment

Flair
                      While your business practices may be above average, you can't expound your sheet or sq. ft. rates in a thread that's from 2001, a simple math calc of 12 years ago.
                      Take Care

Jim

Comment

My dw guy just bid a new house $1.50 ft include materials and lost out.
                        Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

Level 5 wall. 1350 sq.ft total- with a knockdown lid. Your price @ a buck 1350- wow wee 1.50 on anything all day I agree is great! That being said $1.00 with material included. The job better be huge and straight no soffits please outside corners or anything maybe and the guys I pay are getting less-now you can call me greedy I guess. A buck would get you nada around here, but I am out here in the sticks, but even in Denver @ a buck buyer beware. Gratz to ya for making money charging that though your a better pro than I.

Comment

Never fails to depress me......cheaper prices than 12 years ago and everything is 3x as much....:(

Its not even just drywall its all of the trades accept custom built in stuff.
                            Tom

Comment

Its just not worth it anymore.
                              "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"

Comment

Working...
                              X