Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

What is Tar Paper for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is Tar Paper for?

I use 30 lb. felt because of it's resistance to wind damage when I do use tar paper. I now cover all my projects in Grace Ice & Water Shield because of the ability of not having to shingle it until the very end. No marks from anyone on the roof and excellent water, ice dam protection.

Comment

Warren:

Here's a link to a site that was posted here in a discussion about roofing nails comming loose. Sounds like a good source, but they want you should be a member, which maybe you are.

CX

http://www.nrca.net/contact.asp

Comment

Hi Guys,
        My .02, My roofer used to say that all shingles are for is to hold down the tarpaper! LOL

I live in the PNW and we see a bit of rain in these parts. It is not uncommon to have a few shingle failures in the life of a 20 or 30 year roof due to wind , sun etc., sure is reassuring to have a good layer of felt underneath.

Commenting on IKO shingles, I hope I don't ruffle any feathers ( except for the folks at IKO) but I had a very unpleasant experience with IKO shingles. The homeowner had a good relationship with the folks that distributed them in our area. So that is what he specifically wanted. Those IKO shingles failed miserably, didn't seal down at all. There was almost no tar at all on the sealing tabs. They had been installed in August and had ample time under the heat of the summer sun to heat up and seal down. IKO completely failed to back up thier miserable product. After much hassle the distibutor finally supplied enough product to half ass fix the problem. The roofer hand tabbed all the new shingles and the homeowner handtabbed all the rest. Note it was the distibutor not the IKO people that came through. While I would use that distributor again you will never catch me using an IKO product ever.

Charlie

Comment

here's the answer everyone wants:

when a leak developes in the shingles, it goes down to the tar paper, then it can migrate six feet away and go through the roof deck and into the attic.
          so, when you're in the attic, and you say "yes ma'am, i see the leak, it's right beside the DWV pipe", you know that when you come back on a dry day that you don't have to check the area by the DWV pipe because under NO circumstances will the bad shingle be even close to that.

jph

Comment

Re: What is Tar Paper for? *NM*

Comment

Huh??!!

OT - OF!!!

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X