Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

attaching concrete patio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attaching concrete patio

I've had two estimates on having a 22 X 11 concrete patio poured in my back yard. Both contractors want to attach the patio to my house by drilling into the foundation at the bottom of the siding and putting in rebar to tie into the patio. I am very leery about drilling into the foundation. Is this the correct installation? Won't installing rebar into the foundation cause a potential problem, or void the foundation warranty? My house is 4 yrs old. Thanx in advance, Tommyt

Re: attaching concrete patio

Hi Tommy,

Rest easy. It sounds like both of these guys have your best interests at heart. Drilling holes in foundation walls in order to epoxy attachment points for foundation additions and/or slabs makes good sense and is commonly done. Just make sure that the landscaping around the patio is configured to drain correctly and no water is able to get under your new slab.

Where I am, some contractors will pour new patio slabs without securing them to the foundation or ensuring that drainage is away from the home and slab. Consequently, it isn't uncommon to see a back yard slab that is badly settled at the house side for lack of attachment points, while water from misdirected downspouts or leaking gutters finds its way under the slab, hollowing the area out.

If you are still uncomfortable with this situation, I recommend you contact a few other contractors in your area and compare their bids to that of your present contractor.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike O'Handley
    Bungalow Rescue, Seattle
    [email protected]

Comment

Re: attaching concrete patio

Tommy

Mike's advice is right on the money. This is common practice.

We see settlement right against the house because that is the hardest area to compact properly.

Another detail I see commonly is to place haunches onto the wall, the slab then rests on the haunces. Either way the idea is to prevent settlement against the foundation wall.

Good Luck

Rik D.
      Structural Engineer

Comment

Working...
      X