Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Turret sheathing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turret sheathing

We are framing a house with a turret. To complicate things, the eave has a radius.

The question at break came up: how are we going to sheath it? We don't have a 3D printer, so don't suggest that.

The walls have an 8' diameter and the slope is 20/12. The eave radius is 2'- 3 & 21/64".

A secondary problem is that I can't find 21/64" on my stanley 35'er.

Re: Turret sheathing

I'm very interested in how you do this. I've never done it but have been reading about it lately in George Collins's book. I believe that Billy Dillon has some experience here, perhaps after he digs out of several feet of snow he'll chime in.
    If you bat 1000 you're playing in the minor leagues.

Warren Buffet

Comment

You've me a little confused here. How is the eave radius less than the wall radius? I would think it would be wall radius plus overhang, no?

Anyway, I think I remember that roof cutter's secrets book had something like this in it. If I recall correctly, The rafter length was the ticket. He laid sheets out on the ground and used a string and a pencil, the string was the rafter length and scribed the radius on the lower edge of the sheet. For the next sheet, you would reduce the string length subsequently. I think you would have to allow for the arch in the distance up the rafter (move less than 4').

Or, you could just try and bend a sheet around it an hack it off....

let me know if either of these options work.
      Eldon Builders on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eldon-...02809066463063

Comment

Here is a link to an article which may be of interest, plus he in not too far from you. It lists his phone number. http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR7_turrets.html

This old posting from Fine Home Building covers sheathing, that was a good forum lost

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/b...ne-shaped-roof
        Last edited by Keith Mathewson; 02-11-2015, 06:39 AM.

Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Mathewson View Post
          Here is a link to an article which may be of interest, plus he in not too far from you. It lists his phone number. http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR7_turrets.html

This old posting from Fine Home Building covers sheathing, that was a good forum lost

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/b...ne-shaped-roof
          Thanks for the link Keith. One minor problem: that was my thread lol. I'm the blueyedevil lol!

Fine home building had the best site. Far more dynamic than this site. It's a shame that mgmt destroyed it. I think it was costing them too much money because of the server needs.

Comment

Nate, it's a cone roof but it flares up at the eave. My question is: how do I bend wood in two different planes?

Comment

Keith, I forgot to mention that I just hooked up with a bunch of guys from the old FHB site. It's nowhere near as robust but there are a lot of familiar names on the site. Here's the link http://forums.delphiforums.com/breaktime_3/start

Comment

As Keith says I have done this and can explain PM me

Comment

Ollie, I'm not really big on private messaging. One of the reasons for forums like these is to collaborate. I appreciate your offer though.

Comment

well maybe you should go try somewhere else ,you shot us down in the Devers thread because you thought it was useless ,so the compound curve stuff that some of us know and use daily figure out yourself .

Comment

Originally posted by jimAKAblue View Post
                      We are framing a house with a turret. To complicate things, the eave has a radius.

The question at break came up: how are we going to sheath it? We don't have a 3D printer, so don't suggest that.

The walls have an 8' diameter and the slope is 20/12. The eave radius is 2'- 3 & 21/64".

A secondary problem is that I can't find 21/64" on my stanley 35'er.
                      Maybe if you called it a "Fillet" instead of a radius . . . you'd have it figured out.
                      One Length Method© by Richard Birch

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Birch View Post
                        Maybe if you called it a "Fillet" instead of a radius . . . you'd have it figured out.
                        I just call it whatever is on the plans. Maybe you should take up your bitch session with the architect?

Comment

Originally posted by olllee View Post
                          well maybe you should go try somewhere else ,you shot us down in the Devers thread because you thought it was useless ,so the compound curve stuff that some of us know and use daily figure out yourself .
                          I don't understand why you would be upset simply because I participated in that thread. I offered my opinion, nothing more. That's what forums are for, aren't they? Or, do you start threads and automatically pillar everyone that doesn't think exactly like you? You and your boys had a nice discussion. Why would you turn that into a negative?

Comment

Here is pic from Collins's book. The straight section follows most of what is needed. For the flared section I would suspect that straight boards of fairly narrow width would be needed to "facet" the curve and then the roofing material would fair the curve.
                            Attached Files

Warren Buffet

Comment

What I will say is that you have to not think sheet goods

Comment

Working...
                              X