Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redwood arbor

Default Re: Redwood arbor

Look me up for sure. I took Lavrans (whatever happened to him, anyway) out for lunch a while back when he came through town, I think he met Dick on that trip too.
    kevin
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

can we all show pics of our redwood projects here? That would be fun.
    These are recent pics of an arbor I designed and built in '95. Never treated. I think it weathers nicely..except for those damned coated screws!..! Stainless every time now.

It was fun. I learned a lot, and made some mistakes, but saved em ok. I bid the project and made about 3.50 an hour for six weeks ;)
    It paid off later by landing me a 1 mil. house contract.

P5200029.jpgP5200030.jpg

Very nice larryh, looks like the kind of thing that usually gravitates to me...radius work. How many laminations, those are laminated, right, in the arches?
    "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Quote Originally Posted by larryh View Post
    These are recent pics of an arbor I designed and built in '95. Never treated. I think it weathers nicely..except for those damned coated screws!..! Stainless every time now.
    Beautiful. And yes, it has weathered very nicely.

As far as fasteners, celebrate them! They're holding the thing up! I don't mind seeing nicely placed dark spots at connections any more than I mind seeing knots. They are both naturally intrinsic to the structure.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

I like to see bolts, not really screws, the last home I built I drilled and plugged all screws in door jambs etc. To make them subtly visible, and since I had mahogany exterior and walnut interior doors, for contrast I plugged all mahogany with walnut and all walnut with mahogany tying the woods together.
    When fascism comes to America it will not be in brown and black shirts, it will not be with jack-boots, it will be in Nike sneakers and Smiley shirts. Germany lost the Second World War, Fascism won it. George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Thanks, The arched beams are laminated With 7/16 pieces. The smaller archways were someting like 1/4".The structure's a lot of mortise and tennon, with some lags and screws thrown in here and there. The top of it was supposed to be smothered with vines which is why i just went with simple 2x4 lattice work.
    I agree 100% about celebrating fasteners. I like the look of silicon bronze On cedar and rw. Also like the look of plugs.