Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Monolithic foundation with grade beams poured on slab critical path

I saw a guy to it in this order today.

Set forms
    drill piers
    pour piers
    now he wants to excavate, bring in fill and compact

I have done piers but never with excavate and fill

I would have done it in this order

excavate
    compact soil
    drill piers
    pour piers
    trench for grade beams

Agreed? Or is his way a good idea
    Last edited by AlwaysBuilding; 08-27-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Corrected wording of question

Default Re: Monolithic foundation with grade beams poured on slab critical path

Maybe! Information is a bit light, but are the piers designed to hold the grade beams? If so, is the soil currently able to hold the grade beams?
    You don't say whether the compaction is for the grade beams or to just build up for a slab? If the grade beam/pier combo is designed to hold the slab, the "fill" may not even be required to be compacted? Now if the grade beams are too far apart to hold up the slab, but instead are placed to carry other building elements, then it is typically easier to compact your site, then excavate/drill and pour.
    Take Care

Jim

Well say its 30" of structural select fill required

required for under floor slab

I don't understand the post, never heard of grade beams poured on a slab. It does sound like the guy doing the dirt work got hosed though.

The structural fill at 30" would be installed and checked as compacted FIRST, so I agree with you.

Installing piers and then trying to install fill around them, even to the proposed bottom of grade beams, is as.backwards.

And another shining knight believes they are a gift to construction procedures and techniques, all in response to a title laid on them!
    Take Care

Jim

If it's a gravel mix, I sure as hell wouldn't want to compact that first and then drill through 30" of it. My order of operations would depend on the size/shape of the beams and fill. And whether the beams can be trench pour or need to be formed.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBuilding View Post
    I saw a guy to it in this order today.

Set forms
    drill piers
    pour piers
    now he wants to excavate, bring in fill and compact

I have done piers but never with excavate and fill

I would have done it in this order

excavate
    compact soil
    drill piers
    pour piers
    trench for grade beams

Agreed? Or is his way a good idea
    Are you sure (as described in 1st example) that they are excavating after piers or simply scraping pier spoils? How do you excavate with piers in place, since top of piers would be in the way of excavation? We do scrape 6" or so after piers and occasionally bring in some select fill.

Where are you building? No profile. Could make a difference.

Is this the only time you witnessed this? Maybe he should have compacted and didn't and now is being required to do so by AHJ or engineer etc.

Who knows what evil lurks in mind of man.