Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Dens Armor Plus smell: is it normal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dens Armor Plus smell: is it normal

I have some DAP installed and has been up for about 2-3 weeks in the basement. It has not been painted yet. there is a sweet smell that is coming from the DAP that is still pretty strong.

Is this normal and does it dissipate over time?

thanks

Re: Dens Armor Plus smell: is it normal

Are you positive it's the wall board? Was any insulation installed?

kevin
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

yes. pretty sure. i could smell the boards itself. it is in every room in the basement where it was installed.

I had some roxul safe and sound in one room in the basement. owens corning c300 XPS was installed a while ago (no odor).

Comment

Ok. I just asked because some fiberglass insulation uses sugar-based binders and smells a bit. I think Dick Seibert Had a problem with a batch that was over-cooked.

I've never noticed a strong smell from densarmor or denshield, but it's not like I put acres of it up either. Did you call the supplier?
        “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

Originally posted by kfc510 View Post
          Ok. I just asked because some fiberglass insulation uses sugar-based binders and smells a bit. I think Dick Seibert Had a problem with a batch that was over-cooked.

I've never noticed a strong smell from densarmor or denshield, but it's not like I put acres of it up either. Did you call the supplier?
          I did contact GP , and the rep is going to take a look at it today. I got the impression that he never encountered any issues before in this regard.

MSDS sheets indicate that it has a "low odor", but no more info is given than that.

Chemical reactivity is stable at normal conditions and does not like any "acids".
          Hazardous decomosion prodcuts listed as calcium dioxide and sulpher dioxide. I believe the later is the rotten egg smell which my batch is not.

Yes, fibreglass insulation is nasty in many different ways. But no fibreglass was used in this project.

I was in one of the big box stores yesturday and smelled the dens glass gold (which i know is not exactly the same). No odor from that product in store. Then again, those stores are over ventilated.
          Last edited by hollow door; 08-27-2014, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hollow door View Post
            I did contact GP , and the rep is going to take a look at it today. I got the impression that he never encountered any issues before in this regard.
            The GP rep for my area was not helpful and refused to admit that there was a smell. Two others excluding myself could smell it. If this smell was totally normal for the built-in stage, and dissipate over time. I am fine with that. Just like many other prouducts like paints, carpets etc. But that is not what he said
            But refusing to admit that something clearly exists left a very bad taste in my mouth. He took a sample with him at my request.

By refusing the existence of the smell from the get go, he is being un-cooperative, and i don't really know where to go from here, being that there may or may not be an issue. He just told me to call head office in Atlanta and he is not dealing with it. I am very hesistant to do this becuase i am not sure if there is something wrong, but the situation was handled poorly
            Last edited by hollow door; 08-28-2014, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollow Door
              By refusing the existence of the smell from the get go, he is being un-cooperative, and i don't really know where to go from here, being that there may or may not be an issue. He just told me to call head office in Atlanta and he is not dealing with it. I am very hesistant to do this becuase i am not sure if there is something wrong, but the situation was handled poorly
              What does your owner say? I'd at least call Atlanta, tell them the owner is demanding that the smell be removed and see what they say. If they refuse I'd see what the owner wants to do, if he's going to accept the smell I'd have him sign an informed consent letter before proceeding.
              "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

It's in a basement, so is there moisture, high humidity, etc?
                When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X