Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Improper Window Installation is the norm

Quote Originally Posted by kfc510 View Post
    "Current law requires the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code to be enforced in a municipality that has more than 4,000 residents; a municipality with 4,000 or fewer residents that has not adopted a building code is exempt. This bill requires the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code to be enforced in all municipalities with more than 2,000 residents, beginning July 1, 2014. A municipality with 2,000 or fewer residents is exempt, but, if a building code is adopted in such a municipality, it must be the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code."
    http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...s/HP069101.asp
    Great!! I am glad that you found that. And if I had been wrong, I would have changed my ways.

Jason Laws
    Plain In Maine
    Amity, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Laws View Post
    It would be fine with me if we just went with the latest IRC, but that would be and has been a battle with many. You don't need any kind of license to be a carpenter, unlike a plumber or electrician here. And I think the fear would be that then you would start the license process thing.
    One really has nothing to do with the other, though.

Extreme example: here, and they're under completely different agencies. Code & permits are by the Department of Buildings; contractor licensing is by the Department of Consumer Affairs.
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Same here Francois. Permits and code are local, each AHJ. Licensing is by a state agency, no local licensing of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    One really has nothing to do with the other, though.

Extreme example: here, and they're under completely different agencies. Code & permits are by the Department of Buildings; contractor licensing is by the Department of Consumer Affairs.
    They seem connected in several ways to me. Both laws were passed by the same legislator in Maine. Not sure what difference it makes as to which agency is involved in the enforcement, as all agencies are part of the same state government. In my area, when a license is required, the building inspector will require that a licensed contractor pulls the permit. There is no state licensing, but the larger cities seem to require it for plumbing, sometimes electric and in the last decade for HVAC.

The same plumbers that profit from the ludicrous plumber license laws, also profited from the code that required cast iron and copper as the material. The same contractors that profit from the energy code, also profit from the license requirement for HVAC.

About 10 years ago, my state finally adapted versions of the IRC and IBC, and at the same time put restrictions on the power of local municipalities to change that code. But occasionally I still get local inspectors that insist on enforcing codes that are not law. I generally do what they say, as I have bigger fish to fry.

Late to the party but about the OP

I was a contractor in Nassau County , NY for many years. I left about 18 years ago BUT - When I pulled a permit to construct anything, I had to submit a full set of building plans to the building dept and their engineering dept reviewed the plans. Only if the engineering dept approved the plan would a permit be issued.
    The inspections were done by a code enforcement person. This person needed NO building knowledge ( they probable did have some knowledge ) . His or her job was to go to the site and make sure that the building was constructed as per the approved plan. ( they did need to be able to read plans ) If the window installation detail was not on an approved set of plans than the inspector could not say if it was right or wrong.
    I don't know if it's the same now or if things have changed but the Inspector was often "appointed". You needed to be part of the current "Party"
    In the pictures that Gary posted the work is much better than I see on new construction around here.
    A side note - Don't most windows go in After WRB? But on almost all new construction jobs the windows go in before the wrap which is usually done by the siders after the windows are allready installed.

BT,

The only guarantee of anything getting built correctly is for whoever is overseeing the project be knowledgeable, conscientious and is charging enough to do it right.

Few care and the low quality shows its face soon after the warranty expires. Recently I gave an estimate on a home that's 15 years old. Sold for 2mil and the shower pan is leaking into the bedroom below. (started leaking over 10 years ago

Thank god for these low quality builders. Because of them there's a ton of work out there for us remodelers.

Just search Town of North Hempstead building department corruption and read about the (former) plans examiner falsifying architectural permit applications along with many other illegal activities.

Nassau is synonymous with corruption,, from the County Executive running around with his girl friends to the astronomical taxes we pay to exist in this cesspool.
    Gary

I agree Gary
    There was never a shortage of work on the Island.
    Like carpenters, like cops, like politicians, most are good. It is the few, maybe more than few, who don't do the right thing and make everyone not trust the others.
    I think the worst new building product was the vinyl siding. I rarely see it installed properly. The finished product looks ok
    so no one knows what is under it. The old wood siding was a wonderful thing.
    BT

BT I know I'll get smacked in the head for this but my home was built back in 1922 and a few years after I purchased it I ripped off all the beautiful wood clapboard down to the original plank sheathing and covered it in plastic. ( vinyl )

But at least I was able to encapsulate the exterior with Dow Super Tuff-R, new construction windows and flash everything properly.

There is always plenty of work here but for every legitimate guy there are 20 guys running their business under the radar. It very disheartening. The only thing that keeps me going is the larger projects that require permits, insurance etc.. Those under the radar guys can't touch them. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be in this business.
    Last edited by LIHR50; 03-28-2015 at 04:07 PM.
    Gary

Gary
    I can't smack you in the head as I did the same thing on a 20's home I own. Like you, I also took it to the sheathing, Tuff-R, and the proper flashing. I did the house for my mother-in-law who lived there till she passed away several years ago. Now it is a rental.
    My current home was vinyl sided by others before I purchased it. I told myself that I was going to change the siding but at 64 am rethinking it.
    BT