Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Improper Window Installation is the norm

Quote Originally Posted by kfc510 View Post
    "Current law requires the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code to be enforced in a municipality that has more than 4,000 residents; a municipality with 4,000 or fewer residents that has not adopted a building code is exempt. This bill requires the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code to be enforced in all municipalities with more than 2,000 residents, beginning July 1, 2014. A municipality with 2,000 or fewer residents is exempt, but, if a building code is adopted in such a municipality, it must be the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code."
    http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...s/HP069101.asp
    Great!! I am glad that you found that. And if I had been wrong, I would have changed my ways.

Jason Laws
    Plain In Maine
    Amity, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Laws View Post
    It would be fine with me if we just went with the latest IRC, but that would be and has been a battle with many. You don't need any kind of license to be a carpenter, unlike a plumber or electrician here. And I think the fear would be that then you would start the license process thing.
    One really has nothing to do with the other, though.

Extreme example: here, and they're under completely different agencies. Code & permits are by the Department of Buildings; contractor licensing is by the Department of Consumer Affairs.
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Same here Francois. Permits and code are local, each AHJ. Licensing is by a state agency, no local licensing of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    One really has nothing to do with the other, though.

Extreme example: here, and they're under completely different agencies. Code & permits are by the Department of Buildings; contractor licensing is by the Department of Consumer Affairs.
    They seem connected in several ways to me. Both laws were passed by the same legislator in Maine. Not sure what difference it makes as to which agency is involved in the enforcement, as all agencies are part of the same state government. In my area, when a license is required, the building inspector will require that a licensed contractor pulls the permit. There is no state licensing, but the larger cities seem to require it for plumbing, sometimes electric and in the last decade for HVAC.

The same plumbers that profit from the ludicrous plumber license laws, also profited from the code that required cast iron and copper as the material. The same contractors that profit from the energy code, also profit from the license requirement for HVAC.

About 10 years ago, my state finally adapted versions of the IRC and IBC, and at the same time put restrictions on the power of local municipalities to change that code. But occasionally I still get local inspectors that insist on enforcing codes that are not law. I generally do what they say, as I have bigger fish to fry.