Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Improper Window Installation is the norm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improper Window Installation is the norm

In my area (Long Island) most every new construction home builder installs windows using the same method, Black plastic wrapped around the opening, window installed and then some type of building wrap cut around the window edge. What's with that? Who came up with it?

These two homes will sell in excess of $850K ea and nothing is being done correctly. They didn't even use ice & water shield when roof was installed as per NY Code, and the foundation.. well that's another story and maybe I'll start a separate thread on that, it's a doozy
    Attached Files
    Gary

Re: Improper Window Installation is the norm

you have not inspectors there?

Since I do not build new at what stage does a window inspection occur if it does? Obviously before siding goes on. And since just about every window maker has a few changes in how they want a window installed maybe they don't get inspected at all? I still think they all have the same basic steps, just a few tweaks here and there.

Comment

Yes, and we probably have more inspectors in a 10 mile radius then most states have in total.

Inspectors are not looking for proper flashing, ice/water shield, etc.. you know all the details that ensure a healthy structure with a long life.

They (inspectors) only do only the major components of the build such as footings/foundations, framing/strapping, electrical(done by independent electrical inspection services) plumbing done by local town/village inspectors. Basically key elements of the total build. They could care less if anything is being installed correctly, it's not their problem, the builder should be ensuring that.

I'm going to post a thread on the foundation. At the very least a conversation maker.
      Gary

Comment

Perhaps there is more to come in terms of flashing and water-proofing, maybe you are just looking at it before the needed work is done?
        ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Edwards View Post
          Perhaps there is more to come in terms of flashing and water-proofing, maybe you are just looking at it before the needed work is done?
          I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how much caulk they use once the cheap siding goes up.

Believe me Allan, this house and many others throughout my area are built to the lowest standards. I take that back, there are no standards, they just make the finished product look good to the average eye.

You would puke if you walked through during open house, and then fall on the floor when you see what they are asking (and getting) for these homes.
          Gary

Comment

Inspectors here would never let that pass. They look closely at the corners for proper overlapping of flashing, which in the photos, there isn't any. They also want to see a continuous bead of caulking underneath the nail fin with it oozing out of each fin hole. A few weeks ago they even made me replace all my zinc drywall screws with galvanized screws. A little over the top if you ask me.

Shame on the Inspectors for that job. It WILL leak, rot, and be filled with termites in no-time.
            Last edited by Mueller Construction; 09-12-2014, 08:45 AM.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Edwards View Post
              IMO, there is nothing that can be done afterwards to fix that. Not even bitch-o-thaning the whole window - which you know they will not do.
              Brian

Comment

m bezzo wonders, "you have not inspectors there?"

I'm wondering whether you have lawyers there.

Comment

In most areas there is not a WRB inspection.
                  Most inspectors will say they inspect for health and welfare issues such as structural, electrical, and plumbing. They do not get the fact that moisture intrusion into the building can be the biggest health and welfare issue, mold i a big isseu
                  Mark Parlee
                  BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                  EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                  EDI Seminar Instructor
                  Level one thermographer (Snell)
                  www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                  You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

The majority of homes here with stucco get flashed backwards all the time. They will install self adhering flashing on the sill and a bead of caulk around the rough. Install window and then flash sides and the top over the sides. Then 2 layers of grade D will shiplap up the wall and overlap on top of the previously installed self adhering flashing. The bottom flashing installed before the window was set, will be shiplapped over the grade D.Virtually nobody will install the grade d first and then install over the grade D, so that the drainage plane is continuous from the edge of the window and on down the wall. I have no idea why this is the norm out here.

Comment

I think it has to do with the fact that framers set the windows long before the stucco guys are around, at least in my projects anyways. If they wrapped the building just for the windows, the paper would be shot by the time they stuccoed. Same goes for siding too, I like to paper when I'm siding a wall, not weeks before.
                      We do sticky sills with a loose flap to tuck under later, then 12" moiststop legs, then set the window and protect the flashing from flapping around in the weather. When the siding or stucco paper finally goes on, it goes under the sill, obviously, and over the legs (held back from the window a couple inches), then it gets 9" sticky flashing stuck to the flange, moistsop, and shingled paper. Sticky over the head (I think it's a waste but do it anyways..) then paper over that.

Comment

It's always a bummer when you see a bad install then there is no catastrophic failure.
                        When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

They almost finished the entire house (Wrap, cheap insulation and crap vinyl) in one day but the rain stopped them.

Here's some more pictures of the finished product.

Mark P you're correct, inspectors don't care about anything except framing and the mechanics. Everything else is free for the builder to cut corners on.

This 850K home is all about getting to completion by driving down the cheapest road.
                          Attached Files
                          Gary

Comment

Gary
                            Email me the full resolution photos of both if you would please.
                            Mark Parlee
                            EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                            EDI Seminar Instructor
                            You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Gary
                              Got the pictures. I wanted to seethe close up of the second one.I saw that foil looking piece sticking out of the house wrap ant thought the WRB looked reverse lapped. the bigger pics you sent seem to confirm that it is. with leaking vinyl that should be a good one in a couple of years. Send over the others when you get them.
                              Mark Parlee
                              EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Working...
                              X