Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Roofing Detail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roofing Detail

Not a roofing expert. Need a good detail for the meeting of two different roofing materials and two different pitches. Location in hot dry climate. No snow. Occasional heavy rain.

A 1 in 12 shed roof with roll roofing tying into a 12 in 12 roof with slate shingles.

Re: Roofing Detail

Just run the roll roofing 12" up the 12:12 slope and carry the underlayment for the slate down over that.

You can also add a sheet metal flashing over the break to protect the crease in the roll roofing. Fasten it only on the top edge (under the slate underlaymenbt

Comment

All though you don't see much of it around here, I was wondering about adding ice and water shield to the mix. I understand that it seals to the substrate and around any nails that may penetrate it. If so, under and over what?

I guess I'm concerned about a strong wind blowing water off the low pitch roof and up under the shingles/underlayment.

I just want to enjoy our next rare rain and not be worrying about a phone call complaining about a leak. :)

Comment

if i am seeing this right the sticky membrane would go in the crease between the two pitches as an extra .but it would still need the metal flash under the 12:12 and over the 1:12 .no nails in the metal over the 1:12 .you need to be able to get under it later to replace that rolled stuff which most likely will not last as long as slate .Just demo a flat roof .Roofer had three layers of paper under it .seemed smart to me .

Comment

Are you using comp shingles or actual slate?
          ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

Not sure what you call "roll roofing" down in TX, but here roll roofing is a cheap asphalt similar to shingle material. It would never be used on the same building as slate, which is one of the most expensive roofing materials.

Also, the roll roofing I see occasionally comes marked with "do not use on slope lass than 2/12" or similar language. You might want to check on that.

Comment

Actual slate

Comment

Yep, your right. No where but TEXAS. All flash and no class. :)

This is a weird project. About 10 years ago an Archy had designed a facade for a 1956 contemporary house. Its too weird to describe. He stuck this 12 in 12 pitch thing on the roof right in front. It only has about 2 or 3 squares of slate shingles on it. The rest is RR.

The original house had a carport/storage room with a totally flat roof which, not surprisingly, the owner has had nothing but h*ll with. He wants to replace it with a pitched roof which will involve connecting to both types of roofing.

I wouldn't be fooling with it except that he is a friend of a very, very good client who ask me to help him out.

I just wanted to be as/more knowledgeable as the roofer. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X