Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Root Cellar Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Cellar Challenge

In building a house in Western North Carolina we ran into a large rock when digging out the basement. The decision was to wall around the rock creating a smaller basement and step the outer foundation walls up over the rock creating a root cellar with a large rock which protruding from under the stepped up foundation walls. There is a door from basement to root cellar but currently no outside foundation vents. We'd like to take advantage of the damp cool environment and use this area as a true root cellar but assume that damp environment will create problems for the 1st floor framing and insulation above. All I've read on crawl space waterproofing entails a installing a vapor barrier on the ground which obviously doesn't work in this case (rock rises to just below the floor joists in one corner). The best option as I see it is to install a drop ceiling under the floor joists and insulation creating a vented 6 to 12 in. cavity with vapor barrier between it and the root cellar below. The only other alternative seems to be leave floor joists and insulation exposed and vent the whole root cellar which would reduce root cellar performance and may not keep floor above dry enough.
    Thoughts? Other (better) solutions? Code restrictions that apply here?
    Thanks

Re: Root Cellar Challenge

you mean you didn't have the site scanned for large boulders with an electromagnetic flux-capacitor boulder detector?

Standard procedure before excavating around my parts.
    Gary

Comment

There's always one in every crowd. :)

Comment

It was, unfortunately by the same guy that said my 600ft well wouldn't go a foot over 100...

Comment

Thermax rigid insulation over the bottom of the joists, thickness as required for R-value.

Or 2" min Thermax over the bottom of the joists with the joist bays filled with batts.

Tape all the Thermax seams.

Comment

NW Architect,
            Thanks for the reply. I like the material, that it can be installed without further covering, and no added framing. Was still concerned about need to vent joist cavities but the Dow folks confirmed - just put it up against floor joists and make sure it's taped (as you said).
            Thanks again!

Comment

Where do I send my Invoice?

Comment

Working...
              X