Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Is it possible to create a pebble mosaic free standing deck?

I am building a 20x16 free standing deck attatched to the house, I have 8 footings with 6x6 posts. I was going to go with the composite decking however my customer is wanting a pebble floor. I've seen the floating tiles that just snap in but those do not seem "permanent" and I've done pebble mosaic floors over cement but could I possibly just use pressure treated lumber as my sub floor, then with the right protection, Somehow grout pebbles? I am worried about rot, cracking, etc... Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Is it possible to create a pebble mosaic free standing deck?

free standing deck attatched to the house???????????

Which is it, can't be both?

As to the pebble tile installation, you need to achieve the sub-floor rating as called for by the Tile Institute requirements. Once you have that rating then you can select the materials that assembled will provide it.

And this is to be built WHERE?
    Take Care

Jim

Good first questions Jim.

I just attended 3 days of most excellent best building practice sessions.
    One of which included a session on flat roofs.

You need to work with the roofing moisture management manufacturer to develop a workable solution.

While the advice here is toats mc goats it is probably not going to offer a very good warranty.

Sorry, I'm fairly new at this Kind of work. It's ten feet off the ground it was going to be free standing but we've extended it out to attach to the house making it 24x16. They want longevity and It seems like this would be a bust? Has anyone ever tried that envirotile? Those seem to be a solution I'm leaning towards.

it was going to be free standing but we've extended it out to attach to the house....

You still have not answered the "where" question. If you built this deck in a freeze/thaw climate and used floating shallow style blocks or piers, which is a free-standing deck, BUT then attached to the house...it is built incorrectly. You can't secure one edge and allow the rest of the deck to float, the movement will cause the deck to stress all of the connections.

You will want to also look into "decoupling mats" such as made by Schluter. They may provide the answer to a long term deck surface.
    Take Care

Jim