Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Lock Mortiser Question

Hello! My father was a finish carpenter for many years and recently passed away. My husband and I inherited all of his tools, many of which we have found useful for a DIY home reno, but others we have no idea how to use and think would be best passed on to professionals.

We have a Porter Cable 513 Lock Mortiser (photo attached). I would like to sell it on craigslist for $400, but before I do so, I want to make sure it "works". Any tips on how I can test to see if it works?

Finally, the other 3 photos show another tool we came across. No idea of the make or model. Any tips on what it is and I can sell it for. I am not trying to make bank, but I don't want to sell myself (or my dad's honor) short by just giving these valuable tools away.

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Lock Mortiser Question

Here's the PC 513 manuel, with directions to use it:

http://www.mikestools.com/download/P...-Cable-513.pdf

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYR7lI7pJkU

My guess is tool #2 is a jig to bore for something - for a lockset?, though I don't understand the measuring increments.
    Last edited by S.Joisey; 08-01-2014 at 12:16 PM.

The 2nd tool is indeed a jig to position and drill for a lockset.

The lock mortiser should work fine. Just check the bit for tightness, plug it in and hold the tool firmly or clamp it to a plank and hit the switch. That's all you need to be worried about. Whoever buys it will know what to do with it.

BTW, I may be interested in it.
    "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

You'll get a better price on E-bay.

The second item is indeed an (antique) adjustable jig for boring wood doors for lockets. The numbers represent the back-sets. I have a simpler version made by the Dexter Lock Company. Mine only works for 2-3/8" back-set locks. These are of little value today because almost every carpenter buys the doors pre-hung and bored for the lockset. The other reason they have no value is that they are designed for 1-5/8" dia. bore and today's locks require a 2-1/8" dia. bore. I picked this one up at the Habitat store for a buck just to have. I also have the kit which includes the jig, latch plate marker, a 1" auger bit to bore for the latch, and a 1-5/8" Forstner bit for the cross bore. Mine was intended to be used with a brace.

lockset jig 1.JPGlockset jig 2.JPG

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the input!

Actually I believe the boring jig you have there is the one described on the page I have linked below. It does actually bore a 2 1/8" diameter hole for modern lock sets. From your photo it looks to me that yours may have carbide tipped teeth on the 2 1/8" bit and that is a very nice feature. You can see that this jig originally had two large bore drill guides and was capable of boring for locks with a 2 3/8" or 2 3/4" backset. Additionally, using the second drill guide, it could have also bored for locks with a 3 3/4" or 5" backset. Your jig has had that second drill guide removed or cut off. The 3 3/4" and 5" backset capability is something most door hangers will never use these days so getting rid of that extra drill guide would actually make the jig easier to handle. If I was using one of those now on my jobs I would do the same thing.

How much is it worth? Whatever somebody will pay just like everything else. I know I could earn money with it and it certainly looks to be better built than many of the cheapo jigs on the market today.

http://www.bestaccess.com/products/c...callocks9k.asp

Dean
    Last edited by Dean N.; 08-06-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: link

To the OP, Where are you located?
    I may be interested in the first and maybe second tool as well
    Thanks
    PM if you want
    Rich

First post! Saw this thread while looking for something else and can point you in the right direction for testing the 513. I was a service tech for Rockwell/PC years ago and hand my hands in PLENTY of 513's.

The #1 service issue with the machine was feeding. There is a rack gear and spring loaded pawl that advance the bit into the work when the crank is turned. If the rack or pawl are dirty (it's usually the bottom of the rack), or the pawl springs become weak, the bit will not advance into the work when the handle is cranked.

To check this, simply clamp the tool (with a cutter installed)to a 2X6, turn it on, then crank the handle to make sure that the bit will continue to feed to maximum depth.

The next think to look (feel) for is vibration. If the tool was ever dropped, there's a good chance that the cutter's shaft could be bent slightly and at that kind of RPM, a slight bend becomes apparent REAL quick. Excessive vibration will also hinder bit feeding mentioned above, as will a dull cutter.

Lastly, with the motor running, look into the vent in the motor's top cap for excessive spark. A spark trail or "arc" that exceeds 1/4" from the brush holders is a service cue, usually indicating a brush replacement is needed. Really burnt brushes will arc from brush holder to brush holder and generally at least require armature dressing as well as a brush change.

Those three issues cover probably 95% of the 513's that I serviced. Hope that helps...