Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Seal crack in concrete deck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seal crack in concrete deck

Ok, not my work, not my responsibility. But...

I am doing seismic work on a 1961 house in the east bay hills. The obviously imperfect (+/- 8'x50') front porch/deck/patio is a concrete slab over 1x sheathing.

There are two cracks running across the 8' dimension that have been allowing water to freely drain through to the crawl below. We are currently in the dry season, but some over-watering of planters above shows damp areas below, complete with mushrooms. Upon examination, there is evidence of repaired rot, and obvious signs of moisture intrusion. The porch will receive rain in the wet season.

There is remarkably little damage to the untreated fir joists, testament to the theory (in California, anyway) that if you don't trap the moisture you can literally let liquid water run through a house. (For some time, anyway, who knows when the cracks developed.)

Again, I am not hired to diagnose or inspect water problems. I am simply the guy in the crawl space doing a seismic retrofit. However, upon seeing this, I had to mention it to the HO.

Short of ripping the entire porch out and starting over, what are your collective thoughts?

Any (even half-assed) ideas about slowing the water intrusion? With the understanding that we are not trying to "fix" it for now? What would you do if it was your house?

Have at it!
    kevin
    Attached Files
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Re: Seal crack in concrete deck

If the cracks are reasonably equal distance apart I'd cut out an 8"-12" section of the concrete across the deck. Cut reglets in the sides of the concrete cut and pour back a minimally sloping base, then form a bitumen coated copper pan that slopes to o/s deck edge to sit on top of the sloped base and fits into the side kerfs. Water seal the reglets and pour back a concrete cap as an accent strip. Just short of the low end of the pan I'd install a weep hole type rope that daylights on the edge of the porch in two spots. I'd leave the joint between the new concrete and the existing low enough to receive a waterproof caulking that could be removed and replaced every few years

Comment

That's an interesting thought, thanks for the reply.

kevin
      “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

Abojet® Cartridges
        For dry or damp surfaces.

ABOJET® CRACK-INJECTION SYSTEM

The Abatron Abojet crack injection system is a proven method to restore monolithic integrity to a cracked structural element by injecting a structural adhesive epoxy compound (Abojet) into the crack to fill and "weld" it back together. Since Abojet bonds permanently and is stronger than concrete, the "welded" wall can be stronger than the original.

Uses: The Abojet series of resins is best known in the restoration of load-bearing walls, such as foundations. Its advantages are also obvious in restoring retaining walls, abutments, swimming pools, marine structures, dams, decks, silos, vaults, bridge piers, columns, domes, concrete pipes, tanks, elevators, sculptures, garages, structural and decorative components, and machinery and equipment supports. Although concrete is the material that is repaired in most cases, most rigid materials such as masonry, marble, stone, wood, ceramics, metals, stucco, and gypsum can be restored with it just as well.

Features and Benefits: Where structural requirements cannot be compromised, the Abojet system is often the only dependable and cost-effective alternative to demolition. Crack-injection with the Abojet resins has also gained prominence in sealing foundations and other under-grade walls against water seepage.

The Abojet Crack Injection Process: An Abojet resin system consists of two solventless (100% solids,without volatiles) liquids packaged separately: resin (part A) and hardener (part B). When needed, A and B are mixed and the resulting blend is then injected into the crack or cavity. A reaction starts when A and B are mixed. The blend will harden within minutes or hours depending on the Abojet chosen. Before hardening the Abojet blend remains sufficiently fluid to be injected. The hardened system is dimensionally stable and virtually shrink-free. (Meets ASTM C881)

Abojet-1: General-purpose for dry and wet surfaces. Medium viscosity (20 poises). Ratio A/B: 2/1. Available in cans only. ASTM C881, Tp I, Grd 2, C. IL.Dept. of Transportation. BSP-14.

Available in premeasured cartridges and larger containers, unless otherwise specified.

Each 10 fluid ounce cartridge fills 18 cubic inches; nozzles included.
        Abojet® Cartridges
        For dry or damp surfaces.
        "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

With that surface, you'll never get the crack wide enough to seal.

I'd buy me a gallon or Bora-care solution and pour it slowly over the cracks so it seeps in. Same viscosity as water, will follow the same pathways and diminish any growies in there. Come back in a month. Spray a silane-siloxane waterproofing over the whole deck, with a little extra shot on the cracks. That will make everything more hydro-phobic.

Repeat every year

Comment

Originally posted by NW Architect View Post
            Spray a silane-siloxane waterproofing over the whole deck, with a little extra shot on the cracks. That will make everything more hydro-phobic.

Repeat every year
            I've never tried concrete sealer to fill cracks. You think that would work? Even for a year?
            kevin

Comment

Its not going to fill the crack. Just makes everything the water contacts less prone to absorbing the water (and the borate makes it less prone to developing fungus)

Comment

Originally posted by NW Architect View Post
                Its not going to fill the crack. Just makes everything the water contacts less prone to absorbing the water (and the borate makes it less prone to developing fungus)
                That would help with general porosity, then, but the problem areas are directly under the cracks where water has been freely flowing. It's possible a regular borate (or other) treatment would fend off decay somewhat, but I think some effort at sealing those cracks needs to be made.

That or rip the whole thing off and start over, of course.

Comment

I prefer the start over and do it right idea.

Comment

Originally posted by TWhite View Post
                    I prefer the start over and do it right idea.
                    Yeah, so do I. and that's undoubtedly what has to happen at some point.

But these folks just bought this place. When I first mentioned the wet areas, they didn't seem to recall any pre-sale inspection item (inspections are a joke in this market). I am hired to do unrelated seismic work, not inspection.

I really don't want to throw the bucket of cold water on them and say "Oh, btw, now you need me to do 15k of work over here too."

I will mention that is probably the only real solution, but I'd like to offer some short term band-aids as options too.

Comment

Maybe some of that paint advertised for old decks might fill the cracks?

Comment

Originally posted by TWhite View Post
                        Maybe some of that paint advertised for old decks might fill the cracks?
                        Good thought. I also thought about a Gaco type sealer product. I've used those on exposed ply with some decent results.

Either way, something runny enough to get in there, but then will set up as a flexible gel-like material?
                        http://www.gacoretail.com/gacodeck.html

Comment

I'd recommend Bondo with a good primer.
                          When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Ted S. View Post
                            I'd recommend Bondo with a good primer.
                            LOL, Ted. You got me.

Comment

You're a good sport, Kevin.
                              When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X