Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Knife Plate Slotter for Timber Framing

Sim:

I wonder about all of Larry's houses? My old foreman of 17 years has been building in the $5 to $10 million range for many years in the Napa/Yountville area, his homes are all rock/stucco on the exterior and diamond coat plaster on the inside, I won't bother him for a few days but it will be interesting to see how much cracking he had, it awakened me this far away, did you feel it?
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by larryh View Post
    Hey Sim,
    Thanks!
    This hip had no special hardware at the top. We actually had to slot almost all of the beams through the bottom, because there would be no way to assemble the structure otherwise. There were at least 50 plates on the main house, then ~10 on the garage, and the master suite had another ~10. This shows the new master suite, and about half of the porch on the 12 year old main house. Fun stuff!

Attachment 30470

Then there's this crazy section with Knife Plates on Crack

Attachment 30467Attachment 30468Attachment 30469
    Those are really beautiful, Larry.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by kfc510 View Post
    Those are really beautiful, Larry.
    Thank you!

Hi Sim. I'm sure they held up fine. Why wouldn't they?

..and dick, I really appreciate your concern, Thank you kind sir.

Larry,

We'll be installing a lot of knife plates next year and I'm just curious about the knife plates splitting the wood beams.

That gable wall on the church in Napa that's leaning about 1' looks pretty dangerous. It will be interesting to see how they shore up the wall without getting hurt.

Sim

Dick,

Yes, I felt the earthquake. Last year we installed about 3,000 hanger on a commercial building about 4 miles from the center of the earthquake. I hope I don't get any calls from them today.

I'm going to Richmond- San Pablo Ave. this morning to see if the shoring job I did last week held up on a Chinese Restaurant that had vehicle impact damage.

Sim

hangers-1.jpg
    shoring-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sbebuilders View Post
    Larry,

We'll be installing a lot of knife plates next year and I'm just curious about the knife plates splitting the wood beams.

Sim
    I can't see it. I have no worries at all, and trust me, I worry about everything.
    Yeah, they are super time consuming, have no wiggle room, and no safety net (bucket). That just means guys with no real talent shouldn't be doing the work..
    I can tell you guys have got the skills and obviously care enough to do it and have them fit. The rest is for the architect and engineer to sweat.

I guess you guys know but our engineers are designing to FEMA standards now because some jurisdictions are demanding them. I talked to an engineer the other day and he said that FEMA wants "plastic" connections so the connections can move in an earthquake, that's why we are seeing bolted connections as opposed to welded connections, I'd say knife plates give much more latitude for moving under stress and are better "plastic" connections than bolted connections.

Obviously the more we move to steel frames the more proficient carpenters are going to have to be, the days of platform framing with guys who do nothing but roll joists, lay subfloor, frame walls, and roll trusses are over, this should also get rid of square footage pricing.
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Seibert View Post
    Obviously the more we move to steel frames the more proficient carpenters are going to have to be.
    This photo from yesterday on one of my jobs shows my framer with a small welding machine he is using, I was surprised to see this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FEMA wants "plastic" connections so the connections can move in an earthquake
    I've been saying forever that they're making the walls too stiff and what we need is RUBBER STEM WALLS!
    ..isolate the building from the shaking ground. Yeah, a few minor details to consider.. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by larryh View Post
    I've been saying forever that they're making the walls too stiff and what we need is RUBBER STEM WALLS!
    Here ya go:
    http://www.seismicisolation.com/site...n-elements.jpg

I've wondered on some retrofits if the shear walls aren't being designed too stiff. I know they have to calc out to grab all the load, but if that just means the crawlspace is maintained and the first floor shears off, is it a good idea?

Here's a pic of the top of a shear wall where the engineer spec'd 1 1/8" struc 1 ply for the shear ply, with 16d nails @ 3/4" o.c. I'll be curious to see how the three story house on top of that performs when the Hayward fault unzips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Kevin:

Did you know that after the Loma Prieta earthquake they retrofitted the Oakland city hall so that the entire structure sits on some kind of spring roller bearing devices?

Kevin:

Did you know that after the Loma Prieta earthquake they retrofitted the Oakland city hall so that the entire structure sits on some kind of spring roller bearing devices?
    SF city hall is on base isolators too.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/te...ic-protection/

Kevin, Larry, Dick

I'm going to Napa this Saturday to take some pictures of the earthquake damaged houses & building. It'll be fun too see the damage up close. Some Forensic Structural Framing pictures.

I think we should start a campaign to have Simpson Strong-Tie give out free UFP10 to each yellow tagged house in Napa. Then they could go to HD and train all the parking lot employees to install them. Each yellow tagged house could get the entire house of UFP10's installed for about $200.00. It's time for Simpson Strong-Tie to give back to the communities that use their products.

Sim

#napaquake

Quote Originally Posted by sbebuilders View Post
    Kevin, Larry, Dick

I'm going to Napa this Saturday to take some pictures of the earthquake damaged houses & building. It'll be fun too see the damage up close. Some Forensic Structural Framing pictures.
    Sim

#napaquake
    I'd be very interested to see those pics, especially of wood-framed residences that had issues.

The URM buildings are very dramatic, but don't interest me as much (although I did run a crew on a brick retrofit on Solano Ave once).