Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

interior door closures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interior door closures

I have been asked to look at a job for a commercial client.
    they want to start with installing 30 door closures on their doors. I do maybe one door closure every couple of years for someone and often it is a simple swap out.

So I am looking for info on doing that many closers. Things like are there some brands that are easier to install.
    tips on making a jig to speed up installation
    Maybe the company providing the closers has a jig you can order?

Re: interior door closures

No manufacturer I know of makes a jig, but all come with paper templates. Too many dimension variables to consider when installing a closer. When I was installing a ton of closers I made closer and bracket jigs and story sticks. Real easy to do but you MUST label them.
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Comment

205 looks and only one reply.

My first thought was making a jig could be done pretty easily using the placement off the old doors. They say that some of the closers are fairly new and want to reuse those they can. The rest will be new.

thanks for telling me that I am on the right track.

Comment

You are on the right track.
        Richie Poor

Comment

For a standard interior door closure I like the LCN 1461 http://www.qualifiedhardware.com/bra...closer-903.cfm
          Scroll down for the instruction download. Each closure will come with a peel and stick template that can be used for either a R/H or L/H door. You'll have to decide the installation method for your openings, regular arm, top jamb, or parallel arm. Also you may what to check with your vendor to make sure you get the correct fasteners for the jambs and doors, i.e. metal or wood.
          www.allabouthomedesign.com

Comment

If there are architectural drawings, and I've never experienced a new or remodel commercial project that didn't have them, it will include a door and hardware schedule that will specifically call out door and frame types. The hardware vendor should receive a set of these drawings. Normally all closers come with both wood and machine screws.
            Richie Poor

Comment

well, guys I have seen a set of drawings of the floor layout but that is it. Have no idea if the project manager is just picking out closers off the internet or talking to a vendor.

That is part of why I come here because I would have never thought of where they are getting the closers from and who is calling out the details. I will ask some questions.

Comment

Working...
              X