Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Lolly column longevity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lolly column longevity

been looking at a series of lollycolumns supporting a finished addition over a crawl/open space with foundation on one end of the joist span and this series of lollycolumns on the other.

it is out on the cape (the one in mass.) so there is salt air to deal with. the lollies run right into relative dry sandy soil - presumably onto some kind of footing around the frost line (which out here is probably 2 feet or less.)

they have been in place since woodstock . . . eer about 69. painted above ground but at and below ground a good deal of spalling.

No obvious displacement or rust through but if i took a slag hammer and started aggressively testing, not sure what i would find.

try to see what relatively precise methods anyone might have for gauging degradation/thinning toward nothing of the outside steel and at what point to consider replacement.

don't know if drilling small hole and looking through a magnifier is good technique and then silicone it up or . . .

and what thickness/thinness of steel should one get worried about.

indeed, what in your crowd sourced experience are the failure modes if there is no evidence for lateral displacement from poor drainage and freezing etc.

thanks,

brian

Re: Lolly column longevity

How critical of a condition is it? is this a new addition and if so why wasn't the support columns evaluated at that time?

Do you believe a catastrophic failure is possible? I'd have a structural engineer evaluate if that's the case.
    Gary

Comment

Two things to consider, are these CF lolly posts? If so, I would do nothing at this time other than a cosmetic paint touchup.

If hollow posts excavate by hand down to the top of footing, check it out, then decide whether there is remediation required for all the posts.
      Take Care

Jim

Comment

sounds like a job for the helical piers. Plant them alongside the old columns and then you don't have to worry about them.

Comment

Originally posted by James Eggert View Post
          are these CF lolly posts?
          What's CF?

Comment

Concrete Filled
            Take Care

Jim

Comment

Cream Filled.
              When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
              X