Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Deck framed with clear heart cedar?...really?

Cedar...out, the owner came to their senses.
    Portland Renovations, Inc.
    www.portlandrenovations.com

I bet that architect is looking like a hero right about now. Send him my way if he's looking for a new job, my local plant is always looking for guys to climb inside the mixers and chip off the dried concrete from the inside of the drums.
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

I don't think she would get in there Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I don't think she would get in there Ted.
    Dutch:

Tell her to get out of Maine and come here where at least some people value quality over frugality, we need high quality architects. In 1939 my dad said: "We've got to get the Hell out of here, Maine is fit for neither man nor beast." I do feel for you guys though, I can't imagine how you make any money working for frugal people.
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

IMHO, young architect. Read about clear heart cedar in a code book. Had no clue about its limited structural capacity. Had no clue that you can't get a true, clear heart structural member without cutting down a old growth forest.

Even here on the west coast, smaller stuff sold as clear heart is mostly sapwood with a little heart on one edge.

Quote Originally Posted by NW Architect
    Even here on the west coast, smaller stuff sold as clear heart is mostly sapwood with a little heart on one edge
    When I go to an AHJ and request a substitution I tell them that the mills are no-longer milling Foundation Grade Redwood, they "all" have approved any Clear Heart Redwood as long as there is no sapwood visible.
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by NW Architect View Post
    IMHO, young architect.
    Most likely true. I have never met her but by the looks of the drawings and the verbiage on them, very young.

It's a great client and the lead was through an Architect I know and respect so I have been treading lightly and not making a big stink of things..hey, we all need to learn right?

What I respect is that she's really trying hard...I'll hit her with kid gloves for that effort.

Ah, you are a kind man, Dutch. Many of us did a few moonlight jobs as young'uns.

Quote Originally Posted by NW Architect View Post
    Ah, you are a kind man, Dutch. Many of us did a few moonlight jobs as young'uns.
    It's probably something like that. I can recall doing a few as a young LA. When you're young and dumb, what's a budget?