Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

water proofing sill plate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water proofing sill plate

Iam renovating a house with a crawl space. The foundation in the crawl space is cobble stone. The sill plate and half of the rim joist are below grade. I replaced the sill and plate but looking for suggestions on how to protect them from rot. I was thinking of a self adhesive base but the cobble stone foundation is rough. My other thought is xps and stucco.

Re: water proofing sill plate

FYI, in light of recent events I no longer give a crap if homers post here as long as things are kept civil and respectful.

Putting things in perspective this all is minor.
    This post and others asking this type of question.
    Last edited by Bill Robinson; 06-05-2014, 02:26 PM.
    [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

I am a home owner but also a professional. This house Iam doing is mine, but it's my fourth foreclosure I have gutted and fully renovated. Iam definitely not in the league of some of the posters here but this isn't my first rodeo. Iam also a master electrician.

Comment

Can you provide a few photos?
        ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

Urethane deck waterproofing - as used on pedestrian or traffic decks: spray applied. Then an EPS insulation/protection board with the base of wall flashed out over the board.

You'll probably have to get a commercial applicator. Summertime work - the cobbles will need to be well cleaned and dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Robinson View Post
            FYI, in light of recent events I no longer give a crap if homers post here as long as things are kept civil and respectful.
            What recent events?

Comment

(deleted post)
              I'm sorry, Bill. That was uncalled for.

kevin
              Last edited by kfc510; 06-06-2014, 09:30 AM.
              “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

Boy, am I glad I deleted my asshat comment and apologized for it. Man, do I wish I hadn't posted it in the first place.

Again, I am sorry Bill. It was uncalled for.

peace.
                kevin
                “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

Yeah..., What "recent events?"

I don't know what you're referring to Bill, since I haven't been around much lately, but as I recall, you used to advocate a simple courtesy in that new posters just fill out their profile before they get any answers. According to Mike, he's an electrician, and I guess some sort of real estate investor, so I think that certainly qualifies. But no matter what happened, I certainly don't think it's asking too much for one to fill out their profile.

And furthermore, this issue keeps getting re-visited, and argued about, over and over and over, every so often, which is why I say we all ought to simply abide, and enforce, consistently, across the board, the whole "professionals only" requirement. If that was done, we wouldn't keep having these digressions that take away from good discussions.

The inconsistency in how this policy is enforced is what spurs on the arguing in the first place. I mean, if you had an employee who regularly came in late, and hardly ever got disciplined for it, and another one who only rarely came in late, but then was severely reprimanded, what kind of work environment do you think it would foster among co-workers?

So Mike, I have an idea of what your situation is, but like Allen asked, how bout some pics, or a drawing?

I've framed a few first floor assemblies over crawl spaces where the foundation terminated higher than the bottoms of the floor joists, so the floor could be closer to grade. There was a ledge incorporated into the last few courses of the foundation, usually brick/CMU, and the tops of the floor joists ended 1 1/2" above the top of the brick, then a treated plate was set on the brick to give the subfloor something to attach to. The joists also sat on a treated plate, which was obviously down lower where the "ledge" was located.

Am I at all close to what you've got going on?

Tom
                  Last edited by TSJHD1; 06-11-2014, 10:44 PM.
                  1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
                  2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
                  3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
                  4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Comment

Sorry I haven't posted pics yet. The issue I have is that grade is about 4" higher than the foundation. I have replaced the sill plate and rim joist with pressure treated
                    I also installed sill seal . The problem is I can't change the grade on the side because it's not my property. My thought was to use a self adhesive membrane but the foundation is cobble .

Comment

Mike, you are a little too trusting or naive to think there is a solution to this issue with so little information available.

Here are things to consider:
                      *where is this project?
                      *what is the soil type and drainage?
                      *How much runoff is the area exposed to?
                      * is there evidence of moisture accumulation in the dirt under the floor joists, assuming this is a raised floor

It seems that if you do not treat the entire foundation there is a potential for problems.

Not enough info Mike.

I would think you would be willing to take the time for photos since you are asking others to take time to address your needs.

OOPS! there I go
                      [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

Bill,
                        I took pictures tonight but need to figure out how to upload them to this site. The house is located in the north east, problem area is gable end of house so not a lot of run off, soil is sandy loam and there is signs of moisture. I know Iam getting a lot of water from the back because I have no gutter and there is an existing black top patio that pitches toward the house.

Comment

Mike
                          Reply To Thread

Go Advanced

Manage Attachments

Add Files

Select Files (find the pics, I believe up to five) they do need to be the right size.

Upload Files

Submit Reply
                          Mark Parlee
                          BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                          EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                          EDI Seminar Instructor
                          Level one thermographer (Snell)
                          www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                          You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Self adhesive, yes, but I would go the extra mile to add a dimple Matt with geotextil fabric like a Delta-MS. I would keep all framing PT and model the fix after a wood foundation detail.

It can be done, and done well, may not be at the caliber of concrete but I wouldn't sweat it.
                            When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Re: water proofing sill platelet

Of course my first step would be to ask the neighbor if you could regrade.

Do they like Scotch?
                              When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X