Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Min. stair landing to riser or nosing?

36x36 landing at the base of a run of stairs.

Is the minimum landing dimension measured to the face of the closed riser, or to the tip of the nosing of the first tread above the landing?

thanks,
    kevin

(edit: sketch in next post)
    Last edited by kfc510; 06-05-2014 at 12:23 AM.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Default Re: Min. stair landing to riser or nosing?

i.e., in this sketch we have (from left to right)

a)face of wall
    b)face of baseboard
    c)tip of nosing
    d)face of riser board

Where is the minimum landing dimension measured?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

I'm pretty sure it is measured from the nosing.

Kevin:

It's always been to the face of the riser, in the case of open risers it's the actual walking surface where one could place his foot. We used to cheat a lot on that letting the tread hang over and some inspectors started giving us a hard time, so some inspectors may differ on the interpretation especially if you really cheat, but let's face it, the more you let the tread overhang the riser above the more you extend the tread below.

Up until 2006 the Stairway Manufacturers Association published an excellent visual interpretation, as of the 2009 code they charge.

Look at Photo 13 in the 2006 visual interpretation linked above, treads are supposed to extend a minimum of 3/4" to a maximum of 1-1/4".

After posting I see you posted a diagram and I see what you are up against, I'd say that's going to be an individual inspector's call.
    Last edited by Dick Seibert; 06-04-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Post 2
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

Great visual guide, Dick.

a to d - based on some specifics about allowed intrusions into required stair clearances that (used to?) show up in the commercial building code and/or NFPA 101 (if that is still in existence).
    But I'd ask the code folks first before I built myself into a corner

Quote Originally Posted by NW Architect View Post
    But I'd ask the code folks first before I built myself into a corner
    Ask the code folks? That's no fun, I want to stir the pot here.

I'd say nosing.
    The argument would be that the direction of travel down the stairs would negate use of the space under the nosing.

Quote Originally Posted by miterme View Post
    I'd say nosing.
    The argument would be that the direction of travel down the stairs would negate use of the space under the nosing.
    I disagree, tread size is the depth that you can place your foot, I'd argue that landing size should be the same.
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

It's a-d as NW Architect has suggested.

Step nosings are not taken into consideration just as they are not part of the unit/run of the stair, which by definition, is "riser to riser". The 36" minimum tread width is "wall-to-wall" which is on the approved floor plans. Skirt/baseboard and various wood moldings etc. are details which are ordinarily not subject to building department review.