Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice on framing small roof over back door.

Hi,
    I'm a homeowner planning to construct a small gable roof over the back door on my house.
    I'm hoping to get some feedback on my plan to see if it makes sense.
    Forgive me if I'm not using the correct terminology...

The single back door will exit onto a raised 36"x36" landing that will be covered by this small roof. (overall roof footprint is about 50x70")
    I'm trying to achieve a "timber frame" appearance using cedar lumber to complement the nearby deck. It will be constructed with a post and beam approach and I'd like to have exposed rafters and T&G sheathing.
    I'm hoping to avoid rafter ties
    I'd also like to minimize the appearance of hardware. I'd either like to use concealed brackets or pocket-screws/bolts for a clean appearance

The basic support will consist of two 6x6 posts and a 2x6 ledger lagged to the house.
    4x6 beams will be flush mounted to the ledger using some type of concealed hardware (eg. Simpson CJT joist ties)
    the beams will sit on top of the 6x6 posts and will cantilever out by about 8"
    Another 4x6 will be used as "rafter tie" between the two beams. This will also sit on the 6x6 post.
    Rafters will be 2x6 material, 16" OC with birds mouth connection to the beams. A non-structural 2x6 ridge plate will sit between the top of the rafters.
    The first set of rafters will be lagged to the house framing. There will be 3 additional sets of rafters.
    Total roof length is 49.5" (not including fascia)
    Rafter tails will overhang the beams by about 12"
    Total run for the rafters is 34.75" (6-12 pitch)

Hopefully you can follow that ...

So I have a few questions.
    Based on the size of this roof, is it ok to use a non-structural ridge without any rafter ties or collar ties?
    I'm relying on the ledger and the single 4x6 to stop the beams from spreading apart.

What is the best way to attach the beams to the ledger while minimizing the appearance of hardware?

What is the best way to attach the rafters to the ridge plate while minimizing the appearance of hardware?

What is the best way to attach the beams and the "rafter tie" to the 6x6 posts?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jonathan
    Attached Images Attached Images