Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Makita Table Saw Blade?

I sold off most of my larger tools, so I no longer have the luxury of a nice cast iron full-size table saw. I do miss that Jet though!

I still have a decent Makita 8 1/4" saw, and I need to make some wood cases, either solid or veneered, for vintage stereo components, and I need to find a decent blade.

I'm getting some chip-out with the 40t dewalt blade I have so I'm looking around. I do have another blade, a Tenyru pretty sure also a 40t but I seem to recall using one previously and wasn't impressed. I suppose I could be mistaken, and have nothing to lose by opening it up but I digress..

Anyway, the Makita takes an 8 1/4" blade, but I'm pretty sure an 8 1/2" also fits. I'd like to find a 60t that the Makita can handle so I'd like some suggestions. Forrest immediately come to mind. What else is there? Has to be ordered, no one stocks anything except a Freud 8 1/4 40T?
    Take Care

Jim

Default Re: Makita Table Saw Blade?

I found an Amana 60t so far. I did have some 10" Amana blades which performed well and lasted a long time!
    Take Care

Jim

James I'm very satisfied with CMT blades

http://www.cmtutensili.com/show_items.asp?pars=SB~292~2

once at that page you can click on the link to the left "Industrial saw blades" for lots of others
    Gary

Gary
    I've used CMT blades before, bought them from McFeeley's!

Interesting how if you look at the descriptions for 8 1/4" blades, they have a 30t "glueline" blade, and a 36T crosscut blade, which for all practical purposes are the same blade? I'm wondering how well a smaller tooth blade works for glue-up pieces? Part of me says more teeth????
    I'm not doing production work, but still want it right!
    Take Care

Jim

Try Carbide.com. Do a search of saw blades by specification. They have blades at 8 1/4" and 8 1/2" but if you change the specifications to 8" you get a very wide selection of tooth configurations, grinds, and manufacturers. They stock AGE, Amana, CMT, Everlast, FS Tool, and Tenryu. Many of the blades have an application chart showing performance with different materials.

I still have my 8 1/4 saw . It served me well as my only saw for years .Keep in mind you do not need to use a 8 1/4" blade .less run out on a smaller blade .I had a 6 1/4" blade,thin kerf ,that I was using for awhile .Also a 7 1/4" lament blade that I could use in either saw .

Hi
    I swear by "Forrest" blades on my table can sliders. They work great, last long and can be resharpened.
    Rich

No recommendation on blades, but if this is a portable saw, meaning light weight, etc. I do have another hint: use a blade stabilizer if you have room for it.

I too have that saw... VERY old, probably older than some guys on this site! And still serves me well, but I'll admit, it wastes time compared to newer saws that have a quicker fence adjusting mechanism.

I can make a recommendation for both the Forrest and CMT blades, cuz I just recently bought both. The CMT is a fine blade (no pun), but the Forrest is the blade you want if you want that extra little bit of perfection. The CMT gave just a slight bit of fine tearout; the Forrest, none, when recently cross-cutting oak treads on my 8.5" miter saw. So I would guess the differences on the table saw would be similar, but since you're likely to mostly rip, it may not be worth the extra cost on a table saw.

I don't agree however with the comments regarding using a smaller blades, and here's why:

In the Forrest literature that came with the blade, they said to raise the blade as high as it would go when ripping. I always kept the blade as low as it would go, for safety reasons, but the reason stated was that when cutting at the highest setting available, you get a better cut, because you then have less "arc length" of the blade passing through the cut. This also makes the blade last longer. It makes sense.

I also have used the Amana blades on a friend's miter saw, and I was very impressed, but I couldn't find an 8 1/4" blade, so I went with the Forrest Chopmaster.

I don't think an 8.5" blade will fit that saw. Seems to me I tried that many years ago, and it didn't fit.

My advice: Just bite the bullet and plunk down the buck-twenty or so for the Forrest. It'll certainly save you money over the long run, if you value high-quality work, and the fact that with a top-notch blade, you'll actually save on labor too, since you won't have to do anything else to that cut other than just simply cutting! Get it resharpened as needed, and I'll bet you'll have less time/money invested overall in the next 5 years, than if you bought some cheaper blades, and/or smaller blades, trying to save a few bucks in the short-term.

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

I just re-read the instructions (they send a 4 page instruction sheet for a saw blade, so I think they know a thing or two about saw blades) that came with my Forrest blades ( I bought 2... one for my 8 1/2" slide saw, and an 8 1/4" for my table saw), so a little clarification...

The high blade comment is mainly for hardwoods. Softwoods are ok to rip with a lower setting. But it still makes sense, since with a higher setting, it takes less teeth actually moving through the work to make the cut.

They also suggest using 24-40t for ripping, and 60-80t for cross-cutting. I didn't know this when I bought my 60t blade, but I can tell you the Makita handles this blade well.

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

well then using a 6 1/4" blade would work great being it will be raised to it's max when making the cut .
    I found the higher end blades were thicker and bogged the saw . These little blades were thin and cut so well /fast and clean .
    Granted I never have used a forrest blade in that saw . I did have a large varity of blades for a varity of needs . I only raise the blade to clear the top of the board ,safty being my first concern .