Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Default Re: How Solar Will Destroy America's Electric Utilities

Can confirm, that's Dick all right!

Glad to hear you're doing well, Dick. No fora/computers?? Good luck!

Retiring? Say it ain't so.

What happens to the company? If you decide to indulge in some posting, I'd be curious to hear how you wind down a company. Just close up shop, or what? Seems like a business with a license in the 200's would be a valuable thing to somebody, even just as a name and license.

kevin
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Dick,

Retire and spend some money. Enjoy.
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
    Dick,

Exactly; get a skate board and a gopro. Or build green infill high density student housing, just not in SB. Maybe a mentors program at CCCC.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
    Dick,

Ted:

I read about all that snow in Boston and thought of you as I took the top off the Viper and drove through the almonds in full bloom, then over the Yolo Causeway seeing the rice paddies flooded as far as the eye could see, then picked up my supply of cigars from my Cuban roller in Sacramento, the only sad part is I can't smoke my cigars in restaurants any more, but at least I'm not in Boston. There is a whole world out there with happy people going about their lives without agonizing and arguing about things they can't control anyway.
    .... in order to prevent our being swamped with incompetence. It is better for all the world, if instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime, or to let them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit from continuing their kind....Three generations of imbeciles are enough. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Buck v. Bell, 274 U.S. 200, 207 (1927) (endorsing Virginia's eugenics program).

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Seibert View Post
    If I were a young man I'd form a web of non-profit corporations, to build anything here you have to provide affordable housing and that supplies the charitable requirement, then pay myself large salaries from all the corporations, that way profits are nontaxable and can build up in the corporations.
    Dick, I think you should retire as a MOD on JLC so we can start reading some accurate new building science out here. You lost me, how to pay yourself large tax free salaries from a non-profit?
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by CASHCOW View Post
    You lost me, how to pay yourself large tax free salaries from a non-profit?
    If you want to make good money, get all the good jobs because of your classification, and avoid giving it up to taxes - become a non-profit.

Instead of making company profit, which is not allowed, they roll the money into officer bonus and salary. Some of the biggest scams I see going are in affordable housing. Its entirely legal, but a disgrace I would never lower myself too, although I joke about it. Although the low income programs give good jobs to good contractors, there are developers out there with a facade of community dedication, that are just in it for the money and are working the system.

My rules are if you are going to the table for free food, admit it, then maybe I'll still like you.
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Dick, good to see you still around. How about instead of giving up totally on forums why not come around every Thursday? It could be Dick Siebert's Throwback Thursday and give us some insight, some history and some good stuff? How about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Dick, I think you should retire as a MOD on JLC so we can start reading some accurate new building science out here. You lost me, how to pay yourself large tax free salaries from a non-profit?
    Terry:

These fora were (I don't know if they still are) based in Vermont so it's not surprising that they are cold-weather centered, also no emphasis whatsoever on our structural and code concerns and our main concerns relative to even being able to buy developable land and actually get permits. I have had friends from Vermont, it's another world, stuck in the 19th century.

When you pay yourself salaries and bonuses you pay personal taxes on W-2s but all profits remain in the corporation untaxed. With even a Subchapter S corporation you have to pay yourself a salary commensurate with the salary of a President of a construction corporation in your area anyway, one thing I am getting out of by retiring is paying myself a salary which means paying unemployment insurance, FICA, disability insurance, and other mandated charges, I've posted copies of my monthly paystub here, to pay myself $120,000 a year I end up giving various government agencies $6,000 a month, as well as pay taxes on my profits, I am no-longer doing that. I've asked my CPA how do the tech guys get by paying themselves $1 a year salaries and then bonuses, she says that is the tech industry you are in the construction industry, I then asked how Allan in Texas pays himself at the end of the project instead of a regular salary, she says it's because he's in Texas and you are in California, there is a reason that many businesses are moving to states like Nevada and Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted
    Although the low income programs give good jobs to good contractors, there are developers out there with a facade of community dedication, that are just in it for the money and are working the system.
    Ted has it right, as usual, there are also huge benefits because nobody bids anything anymore, you (along with others) make presentations to the cities that set land aside for development, then you spend years fighting neighbors, environmentalists, etc., then a proposal is selected, a compromise is arrived at and you build your project, then you sell it on the market. About 5 years ago I looked into one here, as part of your proposal you have to include references to successful projects you have done that included low income housing, how do you start? That project is still being fought with several giving up, all kinds of people are fighting the project, mostly attacking the project on the basis of the environmental quality act. Even the carpenters union is suing on the basis of the environmental quality act, they settle out if there is a condition that all labor be union. We all know the real reason, wealthy communities don't want the poor in the upper end, other areas that currently are occupied by the poor don't want gentrification since it raises prices and changes the culture in the lower end.

I was driving to the Oakland Hills tunnel recently and my wife said: "Look at all that land, you keep saying you can't buy any land to build on why not buy some of that?" I had to explain that it's all owned by various park districts now, during the last recession they actually went around buying select foreclosed parcels and homes, with plans to seek condemnation on adjacent parcels later to create even more "open space" that will take it out of any potential for builders forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Dick, good to see you still around. How about instead of giving up totally on forums why not come around every Thursday? It could be Dick Siebert's Throwback Thursday and give us some insight, some history and some good stuff? How about it?
    Mark:

I'll think about it, but what I am trying to do is get away from it all, I go out and see all kinds of happy people that aren't concerned about these things, construction has become highly politicized, but we are not alone, the physicians are getting it worse than we are, it's got to the point that all I know are retiring since they can't make any money anymore, I thought the hospitals were coming out on top but come to find out they are suffering too, now the most profitable industry of all, the education industry, is fighting to take over the medical industry, Stanford and UCSF are fighting over taking over hospitals and physician group practices in our area (of course they don't want the hospitals that serve primarily the old and poor since they lose money on Medicare, Medical, and the Obamacare patients, you can't exist on all charity care). Whether you are a builder or a physician you are being required to serve the poor if you want to serve the so-called "rich".
    .... in order to prevent our being swamped with incompetence. It is better for all the world, if instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime, or to let them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit from continuing their kind....Three generations of imbeciles are enough. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Buck v. Bell, 274 U.S. 200, 207 (1927) (endorsing Virginia's eugenics program).