Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Default Re: How Solar Will Destroy America's Electric Utilities

Quote Originally Posted by dgbldr View Post

Interestingly, Sharp bought your outfit (Recurrent Energy) only 4 years ago and has been trying to unload it for the last 2. Can't find that they ever did. There were reports of it being up for sale in 2012 and as of late 2013 it was still up for sale. For less than they paid for it.
    That is interesting, but as I've been saying the renewable energy business, particularly PV solar is changing very quickly recently.

I did a little google search and Google has aquirred Recurrent energy's western USA portfolio.

What's really interesting is that Google, comcast and AT&T are getting into the electrical distribution business. They say that where the utilities are refusing to change they are very interested about stepping in with new technology. It's also interesting to note that Google recently bought Nest programable thermostats.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...mcast-at-and-t

Quote Originally Posted by dave_k View Post
    It's also interesting to note that Google recently bought Nest programable thermostats.

Your HVAC all now belong to us; it and your lights will return once you watch these ad's and click through the proper number.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

Yes, it's the wild west all over again. These guys figured out that it doesn't matter what you sell, you just need to grab everything you can. Remember when Amazon started a business selling books? I thought, really? Books?

We can't all be rock stars.
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Letter to the editor today:

Quote Originally Posted by Contra Costa Times
    Solar users need to know all the facts

I was persuaded by low prices when I was first solicited and encouraged to switch to solar power.

When I investigated and purchased solar for my home, I had high hopes that this would reduce my power bills. However, what the solar power company didn't tell me was the accumulation of fees I would be obligated to pay PG&E once the cycle was over.

While my monthly bill is lower each month, I was slammed with an abnormally large bill that I owed to PG&E without any warning whatsoever. I was simply told nothing, then expected to pay.

Truthfully, I don't even fully understand the process, and am disappointed with the solar power company for the information they withheld. We deserve to know exactly what we're getting into!

Larry Miller

Concord¹

¹ http://www.contracostatimes.com/lett...letters-editor
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

Solar users need to know all the facts
    Hmm interesting. Wonder if that applies to balloon mortgage schedules, new home and remodeling contracts (construction and/or financing), auto financing, aluminum siding sales, fire sprinkler piping, bike lane and crosswalk auto-transgressors, Home Depot card purchases, BitCoin ownership, the location of John Rowland's hands, how much aluminum the BPA paid for,...
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis