Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Squeezing in more steps

I have a tight space in which to draw the design for a staircase. The space is for a U-turn arrangement and cannot be enlarged without compromising a lot of stuff in the house design. All was well when the lower floor was nominally 8/0 high and the floor frame was in 2x10, but desired changes raised the 8/0 to 9/0 and the floor frame deepened, so the staircase, originally needing 14 risers from level 1 to level 1, now needs 16. Rise is 7-9/16. I used a run of 10.

The pics show my first rough attempt at doing the squeeze. There is nothing beneath this staircase except a basement floor, so platforming the build for the odds, and doing stringers for the short straight runs, is an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Squeezing in more steps

I don't know your code requirements, but in CT I can use 8 1/4" risers and 9" treads. The spiral style stair has min sizes at the wall where the pie starts.

Your plan is ok, except the stair at the bottom of the dividing wall is too small, so the step to the left starts to behave like a landing instead of a winder style stairway. Your cadence is lost when you run into a landing mid point on a stairway, so make the small step/tread larger by taking space away from the big one.
    Take Care

Jim

I did some fooling around in Sketchup, and came up with what may be the best way to do this using winders. The pic shows a 5-kite array around the turn. There are sixteen rises to travel 121 inches, for 7-9/16" per, and this latest hallucination has the tread run at 10-1/2".

A fairly comfy staircase to traverse.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it. But, in CT and the IRC2009 the min winder width is 6" at any point on the tread, meaning at the center point it looks like you're too tight.

Check you code first, then adjust if necessary!
    Take Care

Jim

Thanks for looking.

No plans review, no code check, and no inspections where this will be built.

What made CT allow steep stairs?

we're all tall?
    Take Care

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Eggert View Post
    we're all tall?
    I take it the walrus is designing for construction in Texas, in Texas you need higher stair clearance, the women have big hair and the men are known to wear their 10 gallon hats in the house, and as we all know you "Don't mess with Texas", and a smart man never messes with a Texas woman's hair.
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville