Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Whats Wrong Here ACMV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats Wrong Here ACMV

This is my latest construction defect. I have wrote articles before about the poor flashing practices causing problems and here it is again.
    Attached Files
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    EDI Seminar Instructor
    Level one thermographer (Snell)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Re: Whats Wrong Here ACMV

Interstitial wall cavity at 100% MC

Rotting floor assembly in basement.
    Attached Files
    Mark Parlee
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    EDI Seminar Instructor
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Picture of the rotting wall plate.

the roof drains approximately 300 gallons of water down this area in a 1" rain fall
      Attached Files
      Mark Parlee
      EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Mark

There are all kinds of poor flashing detail that can cause water intrusion, but in this case it started with poor design. I bet the vertical wall on the roof where the problem originates could have been pulled out toward the front of the house. The dead area where water accumulates could have been eliminated. And of course a cricket or some kind of framed structure could have been added to help divert the water and better flashing behind the siding and faux stone.
        ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

Allan

I agree the cricket should have protruded past the corner and that would have greatly reduced the problem.

The kick-out is the one flashing detail missing that would have made the biggest difference.
          Attached Files
          Mark Parlee
          EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Edwards View Post
            Mark

There are all kinds of poor flashing detail that can cause water intrusion, but in this case it started with poor design. I bet the vertical wall on the roof where the problem originates could have been pulled out toward the front of the house. The dead area where water accumulates could have been eliminated. And of course a cricket or some kind of framed structure could have been added to help divert the water and better flashing behind the siding and faux stone.
            I agree here. Most importantly is the fact that this is a fundamental design problem. So here is my question, if it was a design supplied by owner (out of a plan book or something) or they had an architect, is this actually a workmanship issue? or also a design flaw? The plot thickens...

Good talking to you today Mark, I appreciate your enthusiasm.
            When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ted
              A good question.

If it leaks then we tear it apart and see why.

In this case it is lack of proper flashing. While I specify the cricket to extend past the corner to give full benefit I would have no problem making it watertight without the extension protection. I just like the idea of a little redundancy..

Enjoyed our conversation as well.
              Mark Parlee
              EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Mark,
                have to ask about that little section of gutter. Which end has the drain on it? Looks like on the end that is away from the dormer. I am thinking maybe a downspout with a section draining it away from the lower corner of the dormer might have helped divert water away from that bad intersection.

Comment

The gutters could be reconfigured to handle the water different but it still does not change the poor and missed flashing details.
                  Mark Parlee
                  EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Mark:
                    The biggest thing wrong with that roof condition, is that the guy/gal who designed that roof system and didn’t bother to detail some proper flashing and drainage, and the builder who built it, without proper flashing details are both probably still alive to do it again, and think its great architecture and building. We see so much complicated crap being passed off as good design and building, and then they can’t afford to do it right, more likely don’t know how or recognize the need for good clean detailing. Let the next guy take care of it, and then it never gets done, and the unsuspecting homeowner is left holding the bag, for design and building incompetence. Certainly, the Arch. and building should be paying for this.

I would extend the cricket out even a little further, there is potentially an incredible amount of water coming down to that location. I would also warp that cricket (slant it away from the left wall line) so it drained toward its small valley. I would also put a kick-out flashing right above the garage gutter, and tied into step flashing behind the stone over that short length of roof slope. Looks like you have a lot of re-building to do in that corner and in the first fl. framing, down in the basement. I’ll also bet you need a bigger gutter and down spout on the garage, to handle the water volume. Has the owner ever commented that that gutter over flows? I’ve seen that kind of water in the wall problem dozens of times, for lack of proper detailing and flashing.
                    Dick Hackbarth, PE
                    RWH&AI, Consulting Engineers

Comment

For the most part, in residential spec building, I see very little work being done by architects, then when I do see them, they don't detail much at all. The only market I see architects is in the custom market, and I would assume this one is spec or presale in a subdivision.

Having said that, we get asked to draw houses more than once a week. The answer is most always "no" I will simply not draw, nor hire anyone to draw, and the reason is that it is the absolute worst money in the world. Nobody wants to pay much for a set of plans, then they complain when they are not adequately detailed.

So having said that, it is obvious the builder must wear the design hat, and must really know how to detail a building to make it work.
                      When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Mark, I typically extend the saddle past the stone by 12".

Of course, the builders I work with flash things properly too.

I never saw a plan that details the flashings in these types of houses. Occassionally, see a dotted line on the elevation drawings that indicate the flashings that is tucked under the siding. I really don't see a need for an architect to detail a flashing for a simple saddle like that.
                        Last edited by jimAKAblue; 05-13-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

What's wrong? It's an absolutely horrible design to start with! And if I was the one installing the siding on that house, I would have asked for specific flashing details from someone else responsible, because I'm not ashamed to admit, even though I consider myself to be pretty good at flashing properly, I would not know how to flash that mess properly, save for putting up a total copper pan that would wrap on around the front wall, and then have that inside corner completely covered in Vycor all the way to the foundation.

Tom
                          1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
                          2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
                          3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
                          4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Comment

Dropped by today to see how the repairs were coming on this one.

Pretty sloppy job
                            Attached Files
                            Mark Parlee
                            EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Did not thicken the corner trims.
                              Nice reveal of the siding past the corner boards.
                              Attached Files
                              Mark Parlee
                              EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Working...
                              X