Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Stucco molding. Drip flash detail over.

Can we talk stucco? Attached is a pic of a window-door group of glass openings, with stucco surround.

Three-coat cement stucco. Not EIFS. Lath, brown coat, etc. Total thickness about 7/8".

An eyebrow feature, a molding, runs across and over the arch over the transom window group. Atop that is James Hardie board and batten, done using the 5/16" fibercement panel and dressing it with the 3/4" x 2.5" fibercement battens on 16" centers. Total thickness build slightly over one inch.

I am thinking the stucco molding will go on the usual way, glued atop the stucco with the mortar-type adhesive typically used for this application.

Should't we detail a good drip flash arrangement over that stucco molding, and hold the board and batt up off its drip edge a little?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Stucco molding. Drip flash detail over.

I know this doesn't answer your question but why wouldn't you just run stucco all the way to the top, why mix Hardie & stucco?

Where does it snow?

And yes,code and good building practice call for it.

Are you the designer of record?

While it is good you look for suggestions here this is exactly why I have a job.

It snows where I am, but rarely where I am going, and hardly ever where this stucco thing is a-building, up the 10 from San Antonio.

Yes, I am the designer of record.

I did commercial and industrial metal siding and roofing work near NOLA, a long long time ago, near Plaquemine, at St Gabriel's 500MW power plant, down in Houma, in New Iberia, Lafayette, and up toward Gonzales. Would take the sheet metal workers business agent to lunch out at Bart's on Lake Pontchartrain. Katrina probably washed it all away. Enjoyed crossing river via ferries up near Plaquemine.

Quote Originally Posted by IamTheWalrus View Post

Yes, I am the designer of record.
    Make the entire wall stucco or Hardie, from a design standpoint it would look better than mixing those 2 materials the way you have.

Hardie calls for 1/4" at that joint. We use carpenter pencils to gap these joints.