Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Leaky steel roof, help a plumber out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky steel roof, help a plumber out.

My dad and I built a steel building in western Wisconsin to house my then aging grandmother, circa 1979. She never moved in, but my mother lives there now.

The corrugated steel roof is leaking at fasteners and every flange.

What would a nail-bender do for long term, repair or replace, spray on roof maybe?

Re: Leaky steel roof, help a plumber out.

I don't think repair is viable option. I would replace with another metal roof.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerBoiler MN View Post
      ...is leaking at fasteners and every flange.
      How did you make that determination? Can we assume you also assayed the condition of the metal itself and pulled some of the fasteners? Is the fasteners exposed or concealed? You got ~35 years life which may be good or not depending on material/install/maint. Since it's most likely to have leaked for a while before you noticed best would be to pull, inspect, repair and start fresh and aim for a 50 year installation.
      Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Originally posted by MarkMc View Post
        How did you make that determination? Can we assume you also assayed the condition of the metal itself and pulled some of the fasteners? Is the fasteners exposed or concealed? You got ~35 years life which may be good or not depending on material/install/maint. Since it's most likely to have leaked for a while before you noticed best would be to pull, inspect, repair and start fresh and aim for a 50 year installation.
        Also a tinner and yes we know the fasteners are leaking and the metal still good, but several penetrations were not done well.

Cheaper to pull all off and sheet with shingles I suppose?

Comment

Shingles typ are cheaper than metal. Again you need to be concerned with what's going on under the metal regardless of what's on top. New is new (assuming what's under is sound) giving 20-50 years and repair is...good luck.
          Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

What we can see from below is sound but we will see when the tin comes off.

Thank you for the help.

Comment

Is this a post framed building with a corrugated roof over wood purlins?

Comment

Working...
              X