Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Pergola material

A customer wants me to build a pergola over an existing patio. Most of the pergolas I see around here in south central Wisconsin are built using cedar. Cedar is a little pricey for this job. Have any of you had success using pressure treated lumber for pergolas?
    If so, did you use a water seal treatment like Thompson's? How about just using Doug fir and a water repellant stain?

I'm worried that PT lumber is going to twist, turn, warp, split, uplift and all the other weird things PT lumber is known to do.

Default Re: Pergola material

The last sentence of your post answer's your question as well as I can. Personally, I would/will not use treated Y.P. for this type structure.
    The last pergola I did, I used D. Fir (painted). Cedar and Redwood for natural finish.
    They all need good periodical maintenance which often they don't get.

What he said ^.

DF in Wisconsin will be a lot of maintenence.

I did a small pergola over an outdoor shower a couple years ago with PT SYP.

I stickered the lumber 'till the MC was under 15%, then finished with a solid color stain. Bought extra and only used what dried straight.

It worked, in part because the longest members were only 5' long - not much room to twist.