Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Lowes Pays fine and agrees to comply with RRP...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowes Pays fine and agrees to comply with RRP...

come on Beez, people have ben getting sick from cutting and welding for years.

Ever weld galvanized?

You can see the fumes from vaporized lead by heating paint with a soldering torch.

It is most likely the typical, "we don't need no stinkin' PPE for this work, we is manly men."
    [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by kfc510 View Post
      but maybe RRP doesn't cover train trestles?
      Hence my question.

Try not to be a dick, Bill.
      “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

Under RRP it seems clear the employer of the employees would be liable as well, but maybe RRP doesn't cover train trestles?
        No it doesn't, read this:

http://www2.epa.gov/lead/lead-renova...gram-rules#rrp

From this page: Does this regulation apply to me?

"Under the rule, beginning April 22, 2010, firms performing renovation, repair and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities, and kindergartens built before 1978 must be EPA- or state-certified and must use certified renovators who follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination. This includes in-house maintenance staff and many types of outside contractors."

The rule applies to housing.

But OSHA does cover it.

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3142.pdf

See page 29.
        Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

Thanks Tom.

I basically knew that, but RRP overlaps with enough other state and federal regs that I wondered about the analogous rules. I will admit I don't care too much about what all is covered and what isn't because *everything* I touch that is painted is covered, so what is and isn't is immaterial to me except as curiosity in cases like these.

It's interesting that it wasn't an OSHA fine though, if I read the article right. It was a "Clean Air Act" violation, investigated by the EPA?
          “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

It's interesting that it wasn't an OSHA fine though, if I read the article right.
            That IS interesting, but who's to say osha isn't/hasn't investigated?
            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomthetoolman40 View Post
              That IS interesting, but who's to say osha isn't/hasn't investigated?
              Oh, I'm not saying anything is or isn't happening, I'm just scratching my head. Whole thing is odd.

In fact, he has mandatory OSHA training as part of his punishment, to further muddy the issue.

All I have are questions, lol.

edit to add: For instance, if OSHA is involved, why isn't the employer of the affected workers on the hook?
              Last edited by kfc510; 08-26-2014, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Hence my question.

Try not to be a dick, Bill.
                Will do colonel, can you tell me what it means to not be a dick?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Robinson View Post
                  come on Beez, people have ben getting sick from cutting and welding for years.

Ever weld galvanized?

You can see the fumes from vaporized lead by heating paint with a soldering torch.

It is most likely the typical, "we don't need no stinkin' PPE for this work, we is manly men."
                  I know how to weld and have done galvinized but all welding has been years since the last time I did it. I have seen the vapors.
                  Part of the the issue for me is when I think of a train trestle I think of some large open air structure. It would not take much of a breeze to blow the stuff away or towards a guy. I am just saying if there were not laws about RRP then this would not have even been reported.

There are ways to solve the issue and they are going to have to be used because that trestle has to be cut up and that led paint is still there. That is why I suggested an air hood mask or whatever the correct term is.

Comment

Beez, it has NOTHING to do with RRP, NOTHING.

It is more likely an OSHA issue that somehow went to court.

The details are sketchy,

Comment

Todays note to self: Pass up any and all train trestle work.
                      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by LIHR50 View Post
                        Todays note to self: Pass up any and all train trestle work.
                        Well, everything pre '78 anyway....
                        Tom

Comment

They just finished painting my mothers house and never used any poly or containment. She said they were out there sanding away, nearly a 200 year old house.
                          When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Any Bondo or primer?
                            Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

That's my Mom's house, we'd replace the clapboards before we mudded them up.
                              When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Ted S. View Post
                                They just finished painting my mothers house and never used any poly or containment. She said they were out there sanding away, nearly a 200 year old house.
                                Means nothing Ted. RRP only applies if there is lead present in the area you are working on. How do you know there is?

The painter tested and found no lead; Remodel as before RRP.

Comment

Working...
                                X