Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Whatever happened to this place and Building Science?

Here is another post for you all I really want to see DGBLDR torque analysis of a home I cant wait to show it to all my colleges. Now we have turned the thread to center around what Chad should have deleted a long time ago :) An obvious brain fry! Funny!:)
    Last edited by CASHCOW; 04-04-2014 at 08:10 PM.
    Terry

DGBLDR moment or force free body diagram, empirical test results, code compliance by analysis, beam, torque, any recent engineering you have done? I could fill the next 10 post with mine lets see yours? You just a simple recent bending moment diagram short and sweet is all I want to see?
    Last edited by CASHCOW; 04-04-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    Terry

Terry, we're not physicists. Most of us aren't engineers or architects. We're a bunch of people who are trying to be really good at what we do- and what we do usually involves having some tools hanging off our belts, some calloused hands and once in a while we say, "that's good enough",
    when it really is good enough but in our hearts we know it's not as perfect as we wanted it to be.

Instead of being an anonymous, petulant child chiding us for our lack of knowledge, challenge the response with a well thought out counter post. It would be a plus if you managed to write using rudimentary rules of English.

Logical debate is always welcome. Cranky children, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by CASHCOW View Post
    Here is another post for you all I really want to see DGBLDR torque analysis of a home I cant wait to show it to all my colleges. Now we have turned the thread to center around what Chad should have deleted a long time ago :) An obvious brain fry! Funny!:)
    Wow! How many "colleges" did you attend?

Moreover, the burning question: To whom do you show it at the various "colleges"? Is it to committees or to individual entities. Or, does it vary between the colleges?

DGBLDR moment or force free body diagram, empirical test results, code compliance by analysis, beam, torque, any recent engineering you have done? I could fill the next 10 post with mine lets see yours? You just a simple recent bending moment diagram short and sweet is all I want to see?
    Allow me to hazard a guess: At all of the colleges that you attended; they did not offer grammar, spelling, or syntax within the body of their courses.

Now Lanya, to be fair, I think he meant "colleagues".

Quote Originally Posted by dgbldr View Post
    Careful with your terms. Don't confuse moment with other terms that CONTAIN the word "moment". A "moment" is not the same as "bending moment", "moment of inertia", or "moment of silence" :) For example: bending moment is the algebraic sum of the moments about the neutral axis of any cross section of a beam.
    When I wrote the post you are referring to my intention was to simplify what appeared to me to be overly complex explanations of relatively simple engineering concepts.

The simple definition of a moment in engineering is the tendency of a force to cause a rotational force around a point.

It's expressed as force X distance perpendicular to the point of rotation. That's all you really need to know. Whether that moment is acting in bending, shear, torsion or torque a moment is a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by dgbldr View Post
    Torsion wasn't mentioned but I'll play. Torsion in general is not used as a force, but rather a state of a member. As in "this member is in torsion". Torsion is the result of applying a torque to an elastic member restrained at the other end. "Torsional force" is synonymous with torque applied to the free end of such a member.
    Torsion is a description of the way a force acts on an object the same as torque, bending and shear do. Moments describe the force that's acting on a the object. In layman terms you could describe torque as the force that causes torsion but torque and torsion are not synonyms. If you said that on a job site I would understand you and wouldn't bat an eye. If that was the answer you gave on a statics exam you would be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Seibert View Post
    What I don't understand is the construction pictures show some kind of styrofoam blocks used in the foundation, because of termites we can't put styrofoam within 8" of the ground, I have to wonder how he got that by the city.
    As Ted already pointed out they are ICF (insulated concrete forms) components.

they stack like lego then you fill them with concrete and steel. They are pretty common in cold climates not just for foundations but for exterior walls as well. We also use them as curtain walls on high rise buildings. I have a ranch on the drawing board right now with ICF walls right to the roof. this is the system I prefer https://www.quadlock.com

I did a Train the trainer on ICF construction a couple of years ago. there were lots of guys from Missouri and a fella from Texas. They are starting to like these buildings in tornado country.
    Last edited by dave_k; 04-04-2014 at 09:59 PM.

That makes it clear to be you really don’t understand what you are doing.
    What's your deal, man?
    You come across as a real *****. And not a smart one at that.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fabry View Post
    Terry, we're not physicists. Most of us aren't engineers or architects. We're a bunch of people who are trying to be really good at what we do- and what we do usually involves having some tools hanging off our belts, some calloused hands and once in a while we say, "that's good enough",
    when it really is good enough but in our hearts we know it's not as perfect as we wanted it to be.

Instead of being an anonymous, petulant child chiding us for our lack of knowledge, challenge the response with a well thought out counter post. It would be a plus if you managed to write using rudimentary rules of English.

Logical debate is always welcome. Cranky children, not so much.
    Terry is not quite the smartest guy in the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dalr...s&noredirect=1
    Last edited by Stovepipe; 04-04-2014 at 11:21 PM.