Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Header question....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header question....

Ok so here we go. I am remodeling a kitchen. I have been framing for 15 years. However I just can't wrap my head around this situation. I have a wall that needs removal. The customer wants an open floor plan. The situation is the wall is 14' and needs to be replaced with a header. It is not the center bearing wall. However it runs against the second story joists. So is it bearing or is it simply bracing. If its bearing what is your thoughts on header widths. Was thinking 2 ply with a flitch

Re: Header question....

Shawn

see if you can get the original construction drawings.
    keep in mind if you are at the site and can't wrap your your head around this then it is even harder for us to get it when it is being explained by someone that can't figure it out.
    No insult meant whatsoever.

you need to provide us with a drawing and pictures and even then you are only guessing we are correct in any advice we give.
    When you take on the job you are the one responsible. I realize you are asking questions of you contemporaries and we would love to help but more info is needed and you are the one that is at risk.
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    EDI Seminar Instructor
    Level one thermographer (Snell)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Mayo View Post
      The situation is the wall is 14' and needs to be replaced with a header. It is not the center bearing wall. However it runs against the second story joists. So is it bearing or is it simply bracing. If its bearing what is your thoughts on header widths. Was thinking 2 ply with a flitch
      What does "it runs agains the second story joists" mean? Are you trying to say that a 14' long partition runs perpindicular to the upper joists and you want to remove it?

What is bearing on the second floor joists? What are the lengths of the joists? Are they 2x10, 8, 12 or 6?

Comment

2 ply with a flitch sounds like 1970 talk. I haven't seen a flitch plate since the 70's.

Comment

OK, I'll be the bad cop.

This situation is not complicated, it's not unusual and comes up in remodeling often. If you can't wrap your head around it, don't. You need to hire a competent engineer who will look at the structure, calculate the loads and devise the proper support. This is not a guessing game or a "google for a construction forum" exercise.

Besides, any competent Building Department will require that you submit drawings and calculations with the permit application.

Comment

dg
            What permit?

Jim
            attached picture of flitch plate.
            Well I guess you cant' see the plate very well but you see the bolts
            Attached Files
            Mark Parlee
            EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
            EDI Seminar Instructor
            You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Mark, back in 1972, I worked in a builders steel supply yard. I fabbed about 300 of these "flitch plates". To us, it was 1/4" by 11" flat stock. They used them in the garage door headers.

When I got into carpentry, I installed maybe 5 of them. By then, paralams had come into use and micro lams quickly followed. That was the last I've heard of anyone using them. Good riddance LOL.

Comment

We had to on this one.
                This was two plates and three plys of lvl
                Mark Parlee
                EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Flitch plates are great when you don't have the width to sacrifice for wider LVL's or the like. Don't poo-poo them, they work great for certain applications.
                  Portland Renovations, Inc.
                  www.portlandrenovations.com

Comment

Absolutely. I have one in my own house, had to retrofit it because of certain "deficiencies" by the original builder. Couldn't get anything else in the space.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Mayo View Post
                      The situation is the wall is 14' and needs to be replaced with a header. It is not the center bearing wall. However it runs against the second story joists. So is it bearing or is it simply bracing. If its bearing what is your thoughts on header widths. Was thinking 2 ply with a flitch
                      I'm not poo pooing flitch plates as much as I'm poo pooing that idea as his first suggestion for a non bearing wall.

Comment

Working...
                      X