Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Taping problems in cold house.

I recently ran into a problem with my taping rounding off on the inside corners of the entire house. Home is a newly constructed bungalow with 8ft walls and regular 6/12 flat bottom cord trusses.
    I took 10 days off during christmas break. We had the house 75% completed painting. When we came back after our break the corners were rounded off.
    We had terrible weather. -50 celsius for most of the winter break and a couple of days that went to -10 celsius. We live in Manitoba, Canada. The change in temperature was crazy.
    I have 2 issues that I think are the cause of the problem.

1. I think the homeowners set the thermostat down. When I arrived my first day back, the temperature in the 3 bedrooms was at best +5 to freezing temperature.
    2. HRV not balanced properly. Even after the temperature was set at 20 in the hallway, the temperature stayed at 5 in the bedrooms. There was always a 10 to 15 degree difference in temperature.

For Americans 0 = 32, -40 = -40F, 20 is room temperature.

I would appreciate any help.

Default Re: Taping problems in cold house.

I have never heard of "rounding off" referring to drywall. Must be a geographical language difference. Please explain for the audience what it means?
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Better yet, put up a picture so we can all see.

Sound like a problem that was caused by the owner turning down the heat to a level that compromised your work.
    Can you verify this and what can you do about it.
    please post a picture of this rounding off
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    Level one thermagrapher (Snell Training)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    www.parleebuilders.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Quote Originally Posted by loosepucks View Post
    I recently ran into a problem with my taping rounding off on the inside corners of the entire house. Home is a newly constructed bungalow with 8ft walls and regular 6/12 flat bottom cord trusses.
    I took 10 days off during christmas break. We had the house 75% completed painting. When we came back after our break the corners were rounded off.
    We had terrible weather. -50 celsius for most of the winter break and a couple of days that went to -10 celsius. We live in Manitoba, Canada. The change in temperature was crazy.
    I have 2 issues that I think are the cause of the problem.

1. I think the homeowners set the thermostat down. When I arrived my first day back, the temperature in the 3 bedrooms was at best +5 to freezing temperature.
    2. HRV not balanced properly. Even after the temperature was set at 20 in the hallway, the temperature stayed at 5 in the bedrooms. There was always a 10 to 15 degree difference in temperature.

For Americans 0 = 32, -40 = -40F, 20 is room temperature.

I would appreciate any help.
    I'm kind of thinking that you just didn't embed the tape back into the corners enough. I did that once when I first started, and they were sort of "rounded off". What I did, was rip it out and do it over again. Turning up the heat a bit more wouldn't hurt either.