Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Any Deck Builders Here?

Commercial, so engineered to 100 lb live load, maybe weigh people before the walk out on decks?
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

Default Re: Any Deck Builders Here?

I've never done a commercial deck Dick, but in San Diego residential is 40 lbs live load and dead is 8.

Good to see you Joe, the last I looked a commercial deck in California is 100 lbs per foot, I have no idea what it is in Indiana.
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

Commercial decks typically are required to be 100PSF, but you need to know the building use. In simple terms, imagine a restaurant when it holds a wedding function......40 doesn't cut it. But for a dentist office with a 8x8 out back for employees lunch area 100 is overkill.

Same thing has to be watched when a change of use for a building suddenly allows an assembly use, such as a church; an existing deck may not be capable of handling the new loading, and "pre-existing" doesn't cut it!
    Take Care

Jim

Engineers generally give me a design based on min. 50#/SF (40 Live, 10 Dead)
    I did have one experience a while back with a plan checker in Berkeley who kept trying to insist on 100 #/SF for a residential deck (he seemed to be conflating a "deck" with a "balcony", and a "balcony" with a "public room/commercial balcony".

I think the new code clears that up in table 1607.1 by simply stating "same as occupancy served" for decks and balconies. (See item 5, table 1607.1 attached scan).

But what was your actual question? Are there deck builders here? Yes! Should we weigh people before they get on the deck? Maybe! My mom would grumble, though.

100 #/SF shouldn't be that hard to achieve, although the potential lateral loads might be appreciable. It almost always gets an engineer's stamp anyway, right?

kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kfc510; 03-05-2014 at 08:56 PM.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair