Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default What tool to use for cutting a 1" hole in pc case (has small oval holes to vent air)

I need to cut a 1" hole in my computer case (to install a fillport for watercooling) but I am afraid if I use a step drill bit it will walk on me or tear up the metal beacause the case already has small oval holes in it to provide ventilation.
    I was looking at greenlee slugbuster Ko punch but they are pricey.
    Any suggestions for cutting a clean hole in thin metal that's not a solid sheet?
    I already found and ordered a couple 1" rubber grommets for it, Thank you for your suggestions and help.

Default Re: What tool to use for cutting a 1" hole in pc case (has small oval holes to vent a

This forum is for construction professionals only.

There are a number of DIY forums. I would recommend looking into them, particularly those which deal with computer issues.

Default Re: What tool to use for cutting a 1" hole in pc case (has small oval holes to vent a

Yeah thanx for your professional help!

Quote Originally Posted by sdmf74 View Post
    Yeah thanx for your professional help!
    You're right that was rude of him and of anyone on a construction oriented site to be polite, well that just beats all.

Personally I think you should use a water jet; it seems most appropriate given the application. If you have an UPS with AVR you can mod the output with a couple inexpensive chips and adapt a waterpik that should be good for at least one hole. Good luck.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

Hey, Mark, you gotta keep from giving away professional secrets.

Naw, the secret is using a $2.99 laser pointer and a magnifying glass with the same hopped up avr ups instead of the waterpik. shhh.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

You got to love computer geeks pushing the limits of their chips (like it really matters)
    Gary

I installed one of those watercoolers on my Iphone 5 - used a step drill and waterpick.

Newman, Was that the left-handed or right-handed Iphone?
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Quote Originally Posted by tomthetoolman40 View Post
    Newman, Was that the left-handed or right-handed Iphone?

right-handed, but I think my mod should work on either...

Quote Originally Posted by newman View Post
    I installed one of those watercoolers on my Iphone 5 - used a step drill and waterpick.
    I installed a watercooler in my office once. Worked OK until the office geek tried to overclock it so it could make slurpees.

If you can't clamp it in a drill press, cut a 1" hole in some scrap 1/2" ply with a holesaw, clamp the ply in place and use as a guide to stop the holesaw "walking".
    Peter.

DeWalt and Bosch (and probably others) have thin-wall hole saws for sheet metal that only penetrate about 1/4" deep. They have a 1/4-inch shank and are intended for use in impact drivers but in my opinion are easier to use in a standard drill.