Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Best handtool storage???

I'm a remodeller and occasional home builder and I'm tired of the jumble of handtools we lug around. I've tried bucket bags, tool bags, tool boxes etc. But all the screw drivers, pliers, cresent wrenches, clamps, small levels etc eventually just turn into a big mess. What do you guys use that keeps things organized, easy to get to and move around. In the back of my mind, a REALY good bucket bag or two would seem perfect but I've never really had one that actually works better than the rest. Eventually it's over filled too heavy and disorganized.
    What your best bet???

Default Re: Best handtool storage???

I've used the bucket boss inserts for 5 gal buckets for many years and found it to be handy and a big help.

The advantage to the bucket is you can slip a drill or larger tool in the bucket along with the hand tools.

I switched to the Veto Pro Pac LC 7 or 8 years ago and never looked back. I love it.

My tools are organized, great economy of space - lots of tools in an organized, compact area. It looks professional,and after these years of daily use it still looks virtually new. They are made to last forever.
    Last edited by S.Joisey; 02-08-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaP View Post
    What do you guys use that keeps things organized,...
    What your best bet???
    The only easy and widely applicable answer is time. Doesn't matter what you put them in if you don't keep up with it and stop adding more to them, you're gonna have issues. Whether what works best for you is 15 minutes a day, and hour a week or 1/2 day a month....
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

I am more remodeler than anything. I have tried a variety of items from bucket boss style items to different boxes and tool trays, tool carriers. Now working with a Husky open in the middle tool tote.

I agree that none of them seem perfect. My issue was there are a variety of bucket boss types out there. Do I really need 88 pockets, some of which I cannot access, some that have lots of little pockets for screw drivers but few larger pockets for things like torpedo levels, putty knives, large sets of pliers.

As far as them getting messed up and heavy, that is up to you to control. At the end of each job, put the tools away, any that you had to get out that are not normally in the tote, put back to where you got them. Limit yourself to things like 4 or 6 in one screw drivers, a 5 in one putty knife, one hammer that can do the majority of your tasks. And then just realize that you will continue to tweak the plan or at least that has been my way of doing things.

My hand tool tote is a basic McGuire Nichols without a bunch of pockets. I use a block of foam board in the bottom and basically stab in the tools. This allows more flexibility than a series of pouches, I think, and makes it easier to see the tools.1902979_636682389701254_1998054382_n.jpg

That's why an experienced helper is invaluable. They keep the work site clean, organized and tools back where they belong.

But you still need good storage whether working alone or with others.

Over the years I've gone through them all just like you have all done. I've found that the best storage is using tool boxes. They are easy to stack in your truck/van, perfect compartmentalized storage. But you must separate your tools into categories, such as rough framing, finish carpentry, plumbing, electrical and mark the exteriors etc.. I also use heavy duty tool bags. I'll find them on E-bay. Just search Heavy Duty Tool Bag and watch what pops up. Find who's selling those bags that where originally purposed for those cordless tool packages and someone somehow found a ton of overruns and selling them.

The only tool boxes worth their salt are the CONTICO Heavy Duty that are manufactured from some sort of indestructible material and the Stanley Bostitch Heavy Duty that have a gasket making them water tight. They both get my approval for tough job site use.

Remodeling is probably the hardest of all trades when it comes to tool organization since there are lots of tools and equipment to organize. It's a constant battle to keep things where they belong.
    Gary

since Gary spoke up I will also .I also do as he does -many boxes separated by catagories .Generally find the boxes used .I have a plumbing box ,electric box ,general mech tools .there might be several cresent wrenches spred out in different boxes . Like others said I also put a lot of time into organizing .But I rock and roll on sight .

I've been using Husky type bucket boss for several years as my everyday carry around. Room for debris and tools to and from.

I have about 8-10 canvas bags with small power tools, electrical and plumbing stuff in metal shelves as well as my every day drivers at the back of my van in a canvas bag. Also about 6 molded cases of power tools towards the front. I putting my new 18v driver set in a canvas bag from its original brief case sized molded case.

For my other loose and specialty tools I have a Sears 4 drawer top chest that sits just inside the back doors.
    Last edited by Happy Home; 02-09-2014 at 09:40 AM.
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

you can also do a search for this topic. I know I was discussing it several years ago and there were thoughts on what was best. I actually ended up ordering several different ones that were not available locally. Think one was a Veto Pro Pack and another was CLC bags. Neither of which I kept.
    I can see why the Veto could last so long. Before you ever put a tool into the thing it is heavy. Then you fill it up and for me it was too much. As I recall the CLC bag was just too big and bulky.

I agree with the guys who talk about multiple bags or buckets or boxes. It does sometimes mean that you will need to buy doubles or triples of some things so you do not have to go searching for in other places. But the option is take something out of the one bag and forget to put it back where it usually belongs. Plus I find it easier to carry in two bags of medium weight than one heavy bag plus easier to look thru if not so full.