Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Default Re: The Truth about Thermal Structural Mass

Mark I got some ideas just need some time to sort them out...please stick with me thank you.
    Last edited by CASHCOW; 03-08-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Terry

I cant believe the RE shotcrete thing old news got more coming
    Last edited by CASHCOW; 03-08-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    Terry

My net connection is bad sorry!
    Terry

bad internet connection
    Last edited by CASHCOW; 03-09-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: bad internet connection, typing

http://www.rammedearthworks.com/

I found David Easton site a week ago and didn't notice the engravings on the samples. Looks like it is time to call him and see what he charges for consultation. SIREWALL also offers consulting. I like to educate myself first. We are looking at a trip to one of the SCIP panel OEMS they will train us on shotcrete for free and help get us started. From there using dirt has to be a matter of the proper mix which we will learn. As in SCIP that uses steel wire as primary structure, Gigacrete I also like uses steel C extrusions, the skins mortar or dirt is for eye candy and sealing. Earth needs no paint or VOCs looks better to me, but as Mark said it is not about me, it's about the client and options. I am working on a powerpoint for our clients that show conventional and alternative building solutions, study our market. We will start small with retaining wall time and material test in our back yard, garages, simple homes. I'm going rural to start, can't compete with stick complex roof planes and intersections, yet, so I'm staying out of the city sub divisions for now.

I can only find a handful of builders in the US offering RE, SCIP, Gigacrete. In my mind knowledge and alternative is power. If a young start-up builder in my area is looking for a mentor all they can find is stick builders, our builders association only knows that. When I made the monkey see monkey do comment earlier I was referring to our local knowledge base. Hopefully I will expand that. I believe if we put one of those naturally beautiful healthy RE homes up in my area and open it to the public it will sell fast with the right marketing and sales people, and we have a good one.

I remember people scratching there head 5 years ago in Cali to the solar panel marketing, now everyone wants one. The banks and infrastructure has stepped up to the plate too.
    Last edited by CASHCOW; 03-09-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    Terry

Terry

Most of your examples, like rammed earth homes, are not mainstream and probably never will be because of costs and market acceptance. There are rare exceptions but most people don't want these type homes and they do not lend themselves to production type homes. Bottom line, as a builder you can't money on them. If you decide to pursue building these, I think as you get closer to actually building them you will find this out. That's not to say you shouldn't continue your research, building science is interesting and you have a background in another industry, so continue on.

Perhaps you are correct or wrong Allan, I hope you look outside the local demographics box and realize it does depend on that, demographics, as all real estate transactions do.

SIREWALL should have filled for bankruptcy along time ago if RE didn't sell. I really like "Outer Limits" design, take a look at the tech details and their other residential and commercial success stories. They build huge homes like you located in British Columbia & globally, who knows maybe right next to your next project ;) What makes CAN and some of the other locations different than the US is beyond me. They are claiming a WIPO patent of the first foam core which is not stopping others, spent the money, have an in house team of Engineers you won't find looking for info on forums. They even have an in house chemist last I heard looking at substituting portland cement w/Pozzolan. That to me is corporate structure and success to expand to Fortune 500.

http://www.sirewall.com/portfolio/re.../otter-limits/

Yes I come from organized corporate 500 environments more advanced in technology, so another set of eyes can't hurt and I am talking to all my colleges at work, some are PEs. If you are correct and our local market analysis and comparative cost studies show no ROI then we stop! Nothing loss in knowledge to build our own homes.

In the short time I have been in looking at the building industry I can see the issues, especially for the young start-ups like my boy. They start out with little money, no mentors, work long hours doing or trying to do a corporate job of many disciplines. When the kids start out of school in the corporate world they have all the support, knowledge, tools they need to perform there job along with the rest of the 'team". He spends the better part of 14 hours/6 days/week dealing with subs that are unreliable, disorganized, lack corporate discipline, skills, and structure. From what I have read due to last bubble labor is getting more difficult to find, even you are having problems finding good framers last I read. I did some hands on finish work around some of them even older ones my age, what a mess! I don't want him dealing with that at my age, he can now since he is young. That is my motivation to reduce labor and our parts list by consolidating and automating. I was already dreaming several hydraulic actuators attached to a graphite ramming plate until Mark showed me I had some home work and catching up to do. It is already been done in many industries, lean out production recurring cost with more non-recurring R&D and/or tooling cost. Quality also improves. If you think about it a bad design can cost alot of recurring and sustaing cost, tainting a builders profits and reputation. Stick construction is outdated and inefficient in most industries as it is this one.

There are others RE success companies like David Eatons, Gigacrete, Gulf Concrete Tech, ICFs, etc, in business along time....heck big box stores are stocking ICFs now. look at the net do some national and global look see of current events then form a opinion :)
    Last edited by CASHCOW; 03-09-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Terry