Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Wrapping PVC porch columns

So I have used some manufacturer made wraps that have mitered corners and snap together. Also sheet goods personally mitered and fitted. Both are pretty efficent. The hassle part comes into play when fastening. Its way cheaper to use a thinner stock but then using a screw & plug system wont work.

After my own experiences and then reading a recent JLC article where the builder makes as many as 90 plugs per column I have to believe there is a better way. Specially since no one wants to pay for extensive labor or honest rates.

My thoughts were along the lines of better adhesive and a pin nailer cross stitched.

With that in mind does anyone no of a stainless steel or even galvanized pin nail that wont bleed rust?
    Tom

Default Re: Wrapping PVC porch columns

Manasquan Fasteners has 23 g SS pins, Tom.

http://www.manasquanfasteners.com/Nails_for_nail_guns

I typically use pre-made ones and fasten them in locations that can be hid with another piece of decorative trim.
    Louisville Exteriors
    Professional Installers of:
    Siding | Replacement Windows | Roofing | Hand Rails | Gutters | And More!

Thanks for the link SJoisey
    Tom

Tom,
    The other guy from South Jersey was right with the Manasquan Fastener link. I also can get those stainless pins from most of the mobile fastener suppliers.

On another note, I make a lot of those column wraps and newels myself but when I get too busy I buy them from Intex: http://www.intexmillwork.com they are Jersey based as well. Their products are available through Universal Supply among other places. They provide nylon straps with Velcro to aid in pulling their columns together while the glue sets up. I save them for use when installing my own wraps.
    Best of luck,
    Nate

Thanks Nate good info
    Tom

We have a millwork shop and provide a lot of pre made post wraps out of 3/4 and 5/4 material for exactly the reasons you've stated. 2 things that I thought of reading this. 1 you could always try your local lumber yard and see if they have a mill shop that will provide wraps like what I'm talking about. 2 is about the nails, we use a plastic nail called Raptor Nails. They are really good except you need a special gun to use them.