Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default New decks for golf coarse

My company was approached today on replacing 10 units of decks on a golf coarse. Some of the building will be occupied during construction . The current decks have a set of stairs and the decks are around 9-10' off the ground. They are thinking all or part of it to be some type of composite. I'm thinking composite decking with maybe some type of wood balusters and possibly a composite cap.
    I am also looking at what composite product would be recommended for a railing system that will go up with ease and will not be to much trouble to work with. Don't want to break the bank for labor and material costs.I have worked with some composite rails in the past that are labor intensive. They just seem to be a little harder to work with than real wood. Have worked with Feeney cable rail systems on residential project lately.
    I am hoping someone that has installed some substantial commercial decks might offer some info that might save time and money.
    Last edited by aechamps12; 01-30-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Default Re: New decks for golf coarse

Get a budget established to know how far you can go, but also get course versus coarse established too.
    Portland Renovations, Inc.
    www.portlandrenovations.com

couple of things I think of when I hear multiple decks.

How similar are they? could they all be about the same size and shape so you can set up some sort of system to do multiples?

The railing system that I liked pretty well was a metal system that has the balusters slide into the holes and you use a bracket to install it on main posts. Aluminum with a powder coat finish so pretty nice system. I will see if I can find the name for you.

9 or 10 ft in the air I would look into some sort of scaffold set up that would be able to be moved from one deck to the other. If you plan it well you could do the entire length and stay off ladders most of the time. I have seen a set up on a trailer that was pulled from location to location with a ATV which with the tires did not really tear up the grass. The trailer system also was useful for keeping some materials off the ground also.

railing system that I was talking about was a Westbury railing. It is aluminum and comes in different lengths and heights.Posts are 2 heights so you can use the taller one for stairs or the taller rails. A couple of cities here require a 42 inch high rail for any deck over 6 ft or 8 so you might need the taller rail. This company makes a 42 inch railing. Not cheap but does go together fast and is finished when you are done with it. I am guessing a 8 ft long x 42 high rail at $300, 2 inch posts with cap and base skirt another $75. They also make a 4 inch post and cost on them is probably close to $200 each as I recall from a while back.

Probably can just type in Westbury railing and find them on that thing called the web.