Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Makita Li Batteries

I've always been pleased with Makita tools, so much so that I own more of their tools than any other brand.

I've had problems with the 18v Li batteries, though. In the two and a half years since I switched to Li, I purchased five batteries. Three of them have failed before their time, all without warning.

I finally got fed up with it last week and packed all three in a box and sent them out to my local Makita service center.

Today, a package arrived in the mail with three new batteries. No explanation as to the problem, but it made me feel better.

I've had good experiences with Makita customer service. I've sent tools to them several times for service, usually for repairs from self-inflicted injuries like falls. I invariably get the tool back quickly. If there is a repair charge, it is always reasonable.

So, I'm still a Makita fan.

Default Re: Makita Li Batteries

wow that was good .I am waiting for them/and others to go more into brushless .I only see Milwaukee with a brushless saw . Also I really like the grip size on that dewalt small/compact 20v drill .I found the makita brushless drill a bit smaller on the grip then the original one But I would like something smaller like that dewalt.

any idea as to what is going on with the batteries? Asking because a guy I work with just went all Makita 18v. He had Dewalt before that but his tools were getting old, batteries older and replaced at least once or twice. Went Makita because of the large amount of tools you can buy from them, stuff that no one else seems to have-his words.

I was sorry Makita didn't give an explanation for the failures as I would have like to have known.

I had read elsewhere that they had problems with a computer chip which governs the battery. If so, this would explain why the batteries fail without warning. Apparently the cells are OK, but the chip won't allow them to charge.

Hopefully, they have rectified the problem.

Joseph, I know what you mean about the Dewalt drill. I used a friend of mine's and it is a pleasure. The small length front to back is an advantage working in tight spaces.

I have a friend who has the Dewalt system. When I first saw the drill I thought it was some sort of upgrade from the old Bosch 10 v systems it looks so much smaller than what I am used to. But it works well and he is pleased.

Too bad they don't tell you about the issue. I am hoping like you, they have corrected the problem and he has the new version of the batteries.

Thanks for the info
    I had two 18v batteries die last year, don't think i still have them, sadly.
    Nothing simple is ever easy

Joisey:
    Were those the 1.5 A.H. batteries or the 3.0?
    I've had the 1.5 kit about 3 years. 1 batt. failed last year, and one broke apart from a 20 ft. fall.
    I did buy an extra batt. so I have one for drill (or flashlight), one for driver and one to have in rotation on charger.
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Quote Originally Posted by tomthetoolman40 View Post
    Joisey:
    Were those the 1.5 A.H. batteries or the 3.0?
    I've had the 1.5 kit about 3 years. 1 batt. failed last year, and one broke apart from a 20 ft. fall.
    I did buy an extra batt. so I have one for drill (or flashlight), one for driver and one to have in rotation on charger.
    THey are 3.0, Tom

FYI, on e-bay you can get these batteries for about half the cost from China. They arrive in a couple of weeks and don't have the Makita markings on them. I bought 6 and one went bad after a few months.

I have the driver/drill kit. I bought it and two extra batteries in 2010. I was using them over the weekend extensively and was thinking how solid they had been.

Sometimes they go a month without being used. Sometimes they get used heavily for weeks in row. Always in my truck toolbox in the cold/heat.

All 4 batterys still work fine. I think they might have lost some of there charge life but not to the point where you use one faster than you can charge one so it's never a problem.

Best set of cordless I've ever had.
    Louisville Exteriors
    Professional Installers of:
    Siding | Replacement Windows | Roofing | Hand Rails | Gutters | And More!

I've had problems with the Makita 18v Li batteries, two out of three of mine have failed in the past year and I'm not sure why. I wish I'd sent mine back to Makita, could have done with some replacements.

I got a Rambo instead

i have 6 batteries - no problems yet .they get steady use .some are few years old some about a year .but i pull a corded tool out generally when the job calls for it .