Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

 
 
 
 
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    down the shore
    Posts
    2,179

    Default Re: New Sawhorse Design in JLC (January 2014)

    It's an innovative design and I can see the advantages you point out.

    But for me as a remodeler who works out of his truck, I have 2 criterion- space and weight.

    So I carry 2 horse sets. My Stablemates slide into a cubby in the back of my truck, and the Trojans have their own small shelf. So I have lots of versatility with a minimum of storage space.

    I've laid out my truck shelving to the inch, and horses such as yours would have me sacrifice too much space I need for other things, without enough benefits to make it worth while.

    Different strokes for different folks. I can see your ideas being used by other's even though it isn't ideal for me.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: New Sawhorse Design in JLC (January 2014)

    Quote Originally Posted by newman View Post
    I'm wondering if I can perhaps build some out of 3/4" ply, single layer, and only double up the areas around the joints for strength. I think the 1-1/2" lamination makes these too heavy for my uses. I'll experiment with this once I get some free time...
    I don't recommend a single layer of 3/4" for the 3-legged version. For the 4-legged version, 3/4" would work.

    I would still like to try 1-1/8" ply in a single layer, or doubling up 1/2 ply.

    The short Tri-horse (4') weighs 30 lbs. The Long Heavy Horse weighs in at 46 lbs. With all the holes working as handles they are pretty easy to get hold of and carry around, despite being stout horses.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: New Sawhorse Design in JLC (January 2014)

    Quote Originally Posted by S.Joisey View Post
    It's an innovative design and I can see the advantages you point out.

    But for me as a remodeler who works out of his truck, I have 2 criterion- space and weight.

    So I carry 2 horse sets. My Stablemates slide into a cubby in the back of my truck, and the Trojans have their own small shelf. So I have lots of versatility with a minimum of storage space.

    I've laid out my truck shelving to the inch, and horses such as yours would have me sacrifice too much space I need for other things, without enough benefits to make it worth while.

    Different strokes for different folks. I can see your ideas being used by other's even though it isn't ideal for me.
    I would like to downsize to a Transit Connect. This design helps me by getting rid of space hogging dedicated table saw and miter saw stands and separate sawhorses.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: New Sawhorse Design in JLC (January 2014)

    I recently posted this sawhorse design on the web's most popular woodworking site and it received the "Editor's Choice" award and has climbed to the top of the "Hot Projects" page.

    Not bad for a project that is not exactly fine woodworking:

    http://lumberjocks.com/projects/96307

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: New Sawhorse Design in JLC (January 2014)

    Quite innovative. I like the idea these days of travelling light and leaving a small footprint. I had my fancy plywood trade-school horses for awhile when I was finishing houses and condos. and eventually traded them in for portability. That was back in the 80's. I think I saw your video on this, no?

    Have you thought of a patent and having them manufactured out of a different (light) material? The fastcap website has some info on patents - http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Sub...astCap-d67.htm. I've almost completed my MBA recently, so I'm wondering how you might take this to market and make some $$$.
    earon

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: New Sawhorse Design in JLC (January 2014)

    Quote Originally Posted by Earon Kavanagh View Post
    Quite innovative. I like the idea these days of travelling light and leaving a small footprint. I had my fancy plywood trade-school horses for awhile when I was finishing houses and condos. and eventually traded them in for portability. That was back in the 80's. I think I saw your video on this, no?

    Have you thought of a patent and having them manufactured out of a different (light) material? The fastcap website has some info on patents - http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Sub...astCap-d67.htm. I've almost completed my MBA recently, so I'm wondering how you might take this to market and make some $$$.
    earon
    Earon, Thanks for the good words. And you probably did see the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpJc...ogle_view_type)

    I have submitted the idea to FastCap, and they are interested in working with me. I may integrate the BestFence into the design. They only license products, then produce them in house. I may decide to license the design or may produce and sell them myself. It remains to be seen which route will be followed.

    Feel free to send me a PM on here about the possibility of doing business, since you like the idea of going commercial with the design.

    We do hope the plan sales (http://www.basswoodmodular.com/) will fund both more plan development and some actual production.

    It certainly seems from the buzz that the sawhorse was overdue for a redesign.

    Regards, Brian

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    St Louis, Mo for the past 25 years
    Posts
    7,336

    Default Re: New Sawhorse Design in JLC (January 2014)

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Campbell View Post
    It certainly seems from the buzz that the sawhorse was overdue for a redesign.

    Regards, Brian
    Whether your design or someone else's it seems to me that about every 2 or 3 years the magazines have an edition that features the new sawhorses of the year, improved sawhorses. Probably many versions out there that never make it to the stage you have made it. Congrats and hope it keeps working out.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: New Sawhorse Design in JLC (January 2014)

    Quote Originally Posted by m beezo View Post
    Whether your design or someone else's it seems to me that about every 2 or 3 years the magazines have an edition that features the new sawhorses of the year, improved sawhorses. Probably many versions out there that never make it to the stage you have made it. Congrats and hope it keeps working out.
    M Bezzo,

    Thanks, I think most sawhorse redesigns focus solely on changing the build of the sawhorse, rather than the function of it.

    I have tried to turn the sawhorse into the Swiss Army Knife of construction.

    This week I found that they are stout and stable enough to safely support a scaffold plank. I am adding conduit to the shop ceiling and there was not room for my large scaffold. This setup would also be good staging for crown installing with 9-10' ceilings.

    1959591_641565035879656_432686279_n.jpg

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts