Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Makita track saw deal at orange

Quote Originally Posted by newman View Post
    I already have the Festool track saw. I got the makita because I though I could have a second track saw on the job, perhaps with a different blade installed.
    The makita is a toy compared to the Festool. It feels cheap, with cheaply made plastic parts and knobs. The motor housing flexes too much from the base, with light pressure on the handle, and there is too much slop in the pivot points for a so called precision tool. It has a crappy short power cord too.
    Makita couldn't put a 50 cent piece of molded foam in the bottom of the plastic tool case to keep the saw from rattling around in there?
    You sound like a Festool snob. I have been using my Makita track saw for years with no issues and excellent results.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mlandry View Post
    You sound like a Festool snob. I have been using my Makita track saw for years with no issues and excellent results.

Mike
    Actually, in several "tests", the Makita came out, head and shoulders, above the Festool.

I have neither, having the Yellow Black and Decker (DeWalt) ... both corded and cordless ... which in a few tests actually bested the Makita and Festool

Unfortunately, that was simply a few. Makita came out the winner in the majority of my reading(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Mlandry View Post

Mike
    not at all, I just appreciate quality when I see it. And the makita is far from quality.

Wow.

I was very happy to receive my saw and guide rail in perfect condition today. I must have gotten a different model because it doesn't feel cheap, there is no disenable flex between the motor housing and base and I have no complaints about the power cord. Lucky for me I already had a big box of 50 cent foam rubber that I can add to the case to keep the saw from rattling around in there. I just made my first cuts with it and they are straight, clean and beautiful. I could not be happier with my new favorite toy.

I find the Makita to be a great saw. I think the anti-tip is a nice feature, and the fact that the saw can use Festool tracks. It seems that the Makita saw has some nice features that Festool should have included.

Oh ya, I was so surprised by the unwarented Makita bashing that I forgot to give a big Thank You to madijack for posting about this deal here. I never would have heard about it any other way and it saved me a bunch of money.

Dean

Glad to share the deal.
    Finally picked mine up on Saturday and yes the packaging job is woeful but all was in good shape for me. Case is lacking - latches tight as heck, added some carpet pad inside and it will do the job. Best tool deal for me in a while.

I think you are confusing the look and feel of the tool for the results produced with it.

Of course, I think of Festool as a bargain alternative to Mafell. You can excuse some of the cheesy plastic parts and thin metal extrusions on Festool products because of how much cheaper they are than the actual premium products.

Personally, I think both the Festool and Makita track saws are comparable in quality and performance. Both saws can ride on to each others tracks which I think is a huge benefit, especially to an owner of both. The only difference I have found between the two is the Makita has a "track lock" which locks the tool to the track when the saw is extended to 22.5, 45, 48 degrees for a bevel cut. This feature is lost when running the Makita saw on the Festool track. I also like the guide rail attachment that Makita has. There are two plates, one which is evenly distributing pressure across the entire plate instead of on the four set screws, which also puts indent marks on the underside of the track channel where the rail attachment sits. This may not be important to some, but to most who set-up and break-down their saws regularly, those marks will become plentiful.
    Last edited by kogar08; 02-23-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: adding info