Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Best way to cut rebar

We have an upcoming job that requires cutting lots of rebar. We'll be using both #4 & #5. Probably close to 300 cuts until the job is all said and done.

We have a metal cutting band saw in the shop, as well as a portable band saw and a gas cutoff saw.

Gas saw would probably be the fastest, but go through abrasive blades like crazy.

The shop band saw is liquid cooled, so the blade lasts a good while but it will be slower and require cutting at the shop instead of in the field.

Was considering a dedicated elec/hydraulic rebar cutter, but I've not used one before so don't know how it compares to other cutting methods.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: Best way to cut rebar

Do you have an acetylene torch?

Didn't think about that. Might not be the best choice though since the laborer may be the one doing the cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by JJHess View Post
    Didn't think about that. Might not be the best choice though since the laborer may be the one doing the cutting.
    Good point. You can do a lot of damage with a torch. I always wondered why no one came up with a sequel to the Chain Saw Massacre featuring one.

Gas cut off saw, like a Partner.
    I will never buy a Nissan Cargo Van.

Why can't you detail the rebar and have the fabricator make most of the cuts? Planning for 300 cuts versus using longer lengths and simply adding a bend puts the rebar in place with less handling than field cutting.

That said, one of the hydraulic bender/cutters is a good investment if you do a lot of reinforcing!
    Take Care

Jim

Gas saw is the fastest way of cutting especially in bulk but it leaves a nasty edge. It will slice you and your clothes at every opportunity so if your doing anything other than slab I would look into renting a cutter.

Thanks for the replies. The rebar is for grade beams for some garage units in a townhouse development. Quality of the cut isn't important, but speed & cost per cut is.

Does anyone know of a good online source for wheels or blades? I don't have experience using 'toothed' steel blades but I can't imagine they'd be better than abrasive wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by James Eggert View Post
    Why can't you detail the rebar and have the fabricator make most of the cuts?
    +1 on this. Even if you can't work with fully assembled cages for some reason, why wouldn't you at least order specific lengths, ells, stirrups, whatever?

The fabricator can deliver perfectly bent and/or cut packages to me for just about the same price I pay retail for straight bars. (Well, not quite, but closer than you'd guess.) Factor in bending and tying time and it's a ridiculously good choice.

kevin
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

I would agree on getting the job detailed and delivered cut and bent to shape.

You still need to cut steel and a gas quick cut with abrasive blades is the the first tool I'd have for that. You can cut in place and cut right through a bundle if necessary. You can also put a concrete blade in it if necessary

A mini grinder with zip cut blades and / or torches are nice to have too.

I would also get one of these cutter / benders http://ca.brockwhite.com/0p46i1462/k...-cutterbender/ They are handy little units to have around, especially the bending.

In regards to the bending, we do not have any of that to do. All of our pieces are straight runs and get welded at the corners/splices. Our portion is just to install the helical piles & the 1st layer of 2 rows of #5 rebar welded to the piles. Any additional rebar to tie the grade beam to the foundation wall is the responsibility of the foundation contractor.

Looks like the gas saw is the way to go on this, with plenty of wheels.

Gasoline cut off saw is the best and fastest way. You won't use that many blades either. You can gang cut all your common lengths. Heck I use one to gang cut metal balusters.
    ~Kent~